Unmeasured, tied harmonics

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
OCTO

Unmeasured, tied harmonics

Post by OCTO »

I need to create a harmonics tone that spans over several unmeasured bars. Is this a good and clear?
I am thinking to tie harmonics with the line, but as far as I know it is the main note that is tied.
scrsht 2020-02-09 at 09.03.46.jpg
scrsht 2020-02-09 at 09.03.46.jpg (35.93 KiB) Viewed 7949 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Re: Unmeasured, tied harmonics

Post by John Ruggero »

The note looks to me like it replays at the beginning of each measure, not as if it is tied. In any case, I don't think that a tie of any kind is necessary for the diamond note with this style of notation.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Schonbergian

Post by Schonbergian »

I'm not too familiar with this form of graphic notation, but is there any need for the re-iteration of the notehead at the beginning of each bar? That would definitely contribute to confusion on my part, even with the tie on the diamond notehead.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

John Ruggero wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 17:04 The note looks to me like it replays at the beginning of each measure, not as if it is tied. In any case, I don't think that a tie of any kind is necessary for the diamond note with this style of notation.
That's right John, it is a bit redundant.
Or perhaps just a tie, without the line?

The problem is that the notes are held over several measures with complex beat patterns. For performers of this part it is not important to count anything except the first beat (shown by conductor).

Schonbergian wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 23:18 I'm not too familiar with this form of graphic notation, but is there any need for the re-iteration of the notehead at the beginning of each bar? That would definitely contribute to confusion on my part, even with the tie on the diamond notehead.
Thank you. So you think a very long line across measure barlines AND without additional noteheads would be sufficient?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I meant the same as Schonbergian. One would think that thick horizontal line should continue through the barlines without the additional note head if it simply ties through or continues the same pattern. Your example looks like the note or pattern should restart at the beginning of each measure. And the little tie for the diamond note does not seem necessary.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com