[OT] English terminology

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
OCTO

[OT] English terminology

Post by OCTO »

Hello. If anyone is free to check this against grammatical errors and proper English, I would be more than thankful.
Note on Performance:
The high accuracy in execution of the short values and grace notes, particularly in the chromatic motion, is expected for each singer but not required in tutti herewith giving an improvisatory result of the eastern religious chant. However, the pivot notes – of long and accented values – should be as precise as possible. The singers should refrain from “operatic” singing and perform with a simple and humble voice.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
David Ward

Re: English terminology

Post by David Ward »

It's not strictly idiomatic, but it's easy to understand.

I can have a go at this either tomorrow or the next day if you like and if you don't mind its losing your personal stamp (ie does it necessarily HAVE to be idiomatic as if written by a native speaker of English?).
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

David Ward wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 21:26(ie does it necessarily HAVE to be idiomatic as if written by a native speaker of English?).
Indeed! :)
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Maybe it is not directly question for "notation" but once, long time ago, I have got help from a native English speaker that corrected my text so that grace notes become "elegance tones", to chant into "cantillate" and register into "chronicle". I didn't need a poetic language, but the most correct music terminology. :)
benwiggy

Re: [OT] English terminology

Post by benwiggy »

Accurate execution is expected (*) for short notes, particularly in chromatic passages, but is not required in tutti sections, which should have an improvised feel, similar to Eastern (*) religious chant. However, the pivot notes -- with long and accented values -- should be as precise as possible. The singers should refrain from “operatic” singing and perform with a simple and humble voice.

(*) Not sure what the distinction is between 'each singer' and 'tutti'. Do you mean soloists? Are there no short values in the tutti?
(*) Do you mean "Orthodox", or something else?
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 11:06 (*) Not sure what the distinction is between 'each singer' and 'tutti'. Do you mean soloists? Are there no short values in the tutti?
(*) Do you mean "Orthodox", or something else?
Thank you, benwiggy!

With "each singer" I mean individually, each of them separately for them selves... Hm, how to clarify?
Yes, Orthodox in the broades possible meaning, including Coptic, Syriac, Ethiopic, Byzantine, Greek, Armenian...
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Might be better re-phrased in the active voice, instead of the passive:

Each singer is expected to perform short notes accurately.... but the tutti sections should have an improvised feel, etc.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

"to perform the short notes"?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

benwiggy wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 08:27 Might be better re-phrased in the active voice, instead of the passive:

Each singer is expected to perform short notes accurately.... but the tutti sections should have an improvised feel, etc.
I agree.
John Ruggero wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 12:48 "to perform the short notes"?
I agree with that too.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

I don't think the definite article is absolutely necessary "the short notes". performing "short notes" is equally idiomatic if you are referring to short notes that are throughout the score. if you are referencing a very specific passage of short notes, then yes, the article would be more appropriate.

so "throughout the score shorts notes should be performed..."
but "at measure 75 the short notes should be performed..."

maybe in Canada our approach to English is slightly different.

By the way, the use of "herewith" is quite archaic. I would heartily suggest avoiding the term.