question regarding 9/8

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
Hector Pascal

question regarding 9/8

Post by Hector Pascal »

Hi all,
I am writing something in 9/8 (the pulse of the music is three dotted crotchets per bar). When I have a note held for a whole bar, I notate it as three tied dotted crotchets.

Today, I was looking in Gould (page 155) and saw that for a whole bar note in 9/8, she advises a dotted minim tied to a dotted crotchet.

I am planning to adopt Gould's idea, but before I do so, I thought I'd get a second opinion here on the forum. I do rather like the WYSIWYG nature of three tied dotted crotchets.

Cheerio,
Hector.
benwiggy

Re: question regarding 9/8

Post by benwiggy »

I guess it's the usual '2+1' rule: in the same way that sub-beats can be combined as crotchet-quaver (but not the other way round).
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Yes, dotted half-note tied to a dotted quarter-note. It's always done that way in normal circumstances.

It just occurred to me that in a strange way this is analogous to a dotted half note in 3/4 time. The tied-on dotted quarter note represents half of the dotted half note just as the dot represents half of the half note in 3/4. Just another aspect of the 2+1 mentioned by Ben.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal »

Many thanks!
Hector :)