Question about alternate scoring within a score with Sibelius

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
Stevie_Keys

Question about alternate scoring within a score with Sibelius

Post by Stevie_Keys »

Hello all, I've been an avid reader over the years, but have finally decided to join this most helpful group. I am wondering how I would go about creating something like the attached score. Would I use ossias? I am wracking my brain trying to figure it out. The only thing I can some up with is adding instruments that are hidden but add a line break when they are in use, if that makes any sense. I don't know if I'm an idiot or what, but I am completely vexed. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Pages from Duruflé, Maurice - Requiem (Reducted Instrumentation).jpg
Pages from Duruflé, Maurice - Requiem (Reducted Instrumentation).jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 2114 times
John Ruggero

Re: Question about alternate scoring within a score with Sibelius

Post by John Ruggero »

Welcome to Notat.io, Stevie!

In Finale, one could place the reduced version below the regular orchestral strings, starting with the first page, and then hide them on pages where they are not needed. Perhaps it is the same in Sibelius?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Stevie_Keys

Post by Stevie_Keys »

Hi John! Thanks for the insight! That would totally work, except I don't think that I could indent just those bars. Another work around (which I'm not crazy about is to just insert it in Illustrator or InDesign. Again, not loving that, but it would do the trick.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Is this the first (and possibly only) place that the solo strings version differs from the rest? In that case, I would mask the first two measures with a white rectangle that has the text on it and fake the left bar lines with graphics. Again, I am not sure if this is possible on Sibelius.

However if the alternate version occurs throughout the score, I would not do what is shown, but start the page with rests and no indentation for the alternate part. The version and full instrument labels would appear on the first page of the score along with the rest of the instruments, even if it the strings are resting on the first page.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Stevie_Keys

Post by Stevie_Keys »

There are quite a few of these little optional passages. But I really like your ideas. I think I'll just go for not indenting. Thanks so much John, I appreciate your insight into this (semi?) unusual problem!

-Steve