Instrumentation

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
OCTO

Instrumentation

Post by OCTO »

Usually on the top of the first preface pages we have "instrumentation", but in the case it is mixed ensemble with voices, is the word "instrumentation" also applicable?
Also, if we have various vocal groups with soloists, but without any instrument, do we still call it "instrumentation"?

As far as I know, the voice is "instrument" as well, but I am unsure about the second example.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
David Ward

Re: Instrumentation

Post by David Ward »

FWIW I usually list voices and instruments separately.

There are various generic terms or phrases which might be used to cover both voices and instruments. At its simplest perhaps (eg): ‘For Tenor Solo, SATB chorus, 2 Violins, Viola, Cello and Double Bass’ or ‘To be performed by Mezzo-Soprano and Baritone with Flute, Clarinet and Viola’ etc etc.
Last edited by David Ward on 06 Feb 2022, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

In French we have the word "effectif" that can be used in this type of case. (effectif: the number of real persons constituting a group)

Is there possibly an English equivalent?
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

"Forces"?
Sounds terrible...
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

I don't think there is any single preferred way to do this. However, the title, then if appropriate a description (eg cantata, sonata etc etc etc), then ‘for’ followed by a list of voices and/or instruments would seem simple and clear.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Perhaps a list of the instruments under the title "Orchestra", or "Instruments of the Orchestra" and then the vocal forces listed separately if complex, or not at all if they are listed as part of the title or are characters in an opera? That's what I am seeing having looked through several late 19th and 20 century scores. On the other hand, Stravinsky lists "chorus" centered after the list of instruments all under the heading "Orchestra" in his Symphony of Psalms.

As David says there seems to be no general agreement on this interesting question, but using the term "instrumentation" does seems strange to me for voices, unless the voices are actually used as instruments in the orchestra, perhaps wordlessly as in Daphnis or The Nutcracker.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com