Finale 27 is 'coming soon'

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
benwiggy

Finale 27 is 'coming soon'

Post by benwiggy »

MM have posted a blog about the forthcoming Finale version 27.

https://www.finalemusic.com/blog/finale ... ming-soon/

Most notably, there will be SMuFL font support. Does that mean we'll see the long-anticipated release of the SMuFL compatible version of Maestro (and Engraver)?
benwiggy

Re: Finale 27 is 'coming soon'

Post by benwiggy »

Apparently, it does! According to the latest MakeMusic blog post, F27 will comes with SMuFL versions of Maestro, Engraver, Jazz, Broadway, -- and another new handwritten font.

https://www.finalemusic.com/blog/sneak- ... l-support/

With MuseScore, Lilypond, Finale and Dorico all using SMuFL, that leaves Sibelius out in the cold somewhat.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Yes, indeed. It's very good news for everyone (except Sibelius users,)
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

The latest blog post starts "We are officially one week away from the launch of Finale v27!"

So it should be out on 15th.
teacue

Post by teacue »

Now that the release of Finale 27 is imminent I am thinking about upgrading my older version (25).
Though I am working with Dorico since a few years and love a lot of things in it there are a few things that appeal me to upgrade:
1. The new SMuFL fonts
2. The extension of XML import/export features
3. There are still things that Finale can do that Dorico possibly never will do because of (in my opinion) a too rigid will to stay semantically correct paired with (again in my opinion) a too strict attitude about what the Dorico team think on what is usefull for the users or not.
I find it sometimes quite taxing to try to convince the Dorico team that some things which are not on their radar do really exist and are usefull.
4. An important reason is also that I still have an awfull lot of scores done with Finale which I will probably never convert to Dorico because of lack of time or motivation.

At the moment the regular Upgrade Price to Finale 26 is $ 149, it is even possible to get a lower price at some suppliers.
Does someone knows if at the launch of Finale 26 there was an upgrade discount for users of previous versions?
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

teacue wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 08:26 Does someone knows if at the launch of Finale 26 there was an upgrade discount for users of previous versions?
The standard discount has always been $149 for an upgrade. Usually, a company should be capitalising on the interest (and sales) that a new release brings -- they only introduce further discounts when the novelty has worn off.

teacue wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 08:26 There are still things that Finale can do that Dorico possibly never will do because of (in my opinion) a too rigid will to stay semantically correct paired with (again in my opinion) a too strict attitude about what the Dorico team think on what is usefull for the users or not.
I find it sometimes quite taxing to try to convince the Dorico team that some things which are not on their radar do really exist and are usefull.
Yes, but the number of those things that only Finale can do is small, and, shall we say, not 'commonplace'. (And it's decreasing with each new release of Dorico and others.)

Dorico's semantic approach is more of a help than "not having it" for the vast majority of notation. Finale's flexibility is useful when it's needed, but for a lot of 'ordinary' work, it doesn't give you any help whatsoever, making Bach just as much work as Boulez.

Equally, there are things Dorico can do that Finale will never do. Creating effortless instrumental parts with section headings and tacets, for one.

It's Cold Comfort when your particular needs aren't quite met, I'll agree. However, I have found Daniel and the team pretty responsive, if you show them use cases.
teacue

Post by teacue »

@ benwiggy
Yes of course, you are right in many points and I can agree with you.
But after these few years with Dorico I come to the result that I should better not wait everything from it and if Finale can do the other things that I need then well, why not use Finale for these other things.
The best of both worlds ;-)

Thank you for your information about the regular upgrade price.
In the meantime I could get a less expensive upgrade to Finale 26 and I will make use of the grace period to get 27.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Ben, this is way off the topic, but can Dorico now do centered beaming for intervals smaller than a fourth without a workaround?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

teacue wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 20:41
In the meantime I could get a less expensive upgrade to Finale 26 and I will make use of the grace period to get 27.
The upgrade price is from any old version, so you don't need to pay twice to got from 25 > 27, if that's what you mean.
teacue

Post by teacue »

benwiggy wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 21:17
teacue wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 20:41
The upgrade price is from any old version, so you don't need to pay twice to got from 25 > 27, if that's what you mean.
What I mean is that the upgrade price to 27 will be probably $149.
I found an upgrade price to 26 today for under $100 at a third party dealer.
As 27 will be out in a few days, due to the grace period, I will be entitled to get 27 for free.
I guess that as soon as 27 is out the cheaper upgrade price at the third party dealer will not be available any more.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube