[Dorico] Flat slurs

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
OCTO

Re: [Dorico] Flat slurs

Post by OCTO »

Den wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 21:43 Slurs example with Igor
For me it doesn't look like a flat slur, the first example. Another examples look like two stapled slurs/lines. Right?
Can you make a totally flat slur in Igor or Graphire? I mean, using just one slur.

AFAIK, it is only Dorico and SCORE that have this ability. LilyPond has a limitation in slur thickness.
viewtopic.php?t=48
viewtopic.php?t=52
viewtopic.php?t=207
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Den

Post by Den »

OCTO wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 08:32
Den wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 21:43 Slurs example with Igor
For me it doesn't look like a flat slur, the first example. Another examples look like two stapled slurs/lines. Right?
Can you make a totally flat slur in Igor or Graphire? I mean, using just one slur.

AFAIK, it is only Dorico and SCORE that have this ability. LilyPond has a limitation in slur thickness.
viewtopic.php?t=48
viewtopic.php?t=52
viewtopic.php?t=207
Yes OCTO correct. That is not just one slur. In this programs not exist "function" or "command" for "flat slurs". This programs have not "power functions" like in Finale , Dorico or Sibelius, LP, MS and other newer software, but can have very similar results on end 99% what is in mind logic. I can do "flat slurs" in many ways, not only one. Completly different editing. If I not like results, if I need some extra precise editing, I export to EPS and go in dtp program and correct that things in 15-30sec! just like you in your youtube examples. Not big deal.
Well, I not need to much that flat slurs (except real ties) beause look to much "robotic". Miss the natural fluidity of slurs in these things. If I know and what I need in my mind, I can do it without big thinking.
If I know how I can do some notations and which ones in my mind, I can do it without to much thought.
Like all users with any other program!
SlursFlat-Igor.gif
In this case, Music Press has totally different functions compare to for ex. Igor, I think everyone can do a lot in their own way, both with simple tricks and with other functions. What is good in these programs is the work logic. There is not too much of a significant difference.
Sadly, I'm very sorry they didn't finish in the 2000-01 yr. with some powerfull functions that would be very difficult to imagine today, even in the next ten years! I remember they were even announcing some more intelligent features, much much more advanced than their time.
Last edited by Den on 11 Sep 2020, 22:36, edited 3 times in total.
Den

Post by Den »

odod wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 02:44 i completely agree with you that Dorico is killing mind logic ... painful to learn .. i still prefer Sibelius and Finale for their workflow ... luckily i did the crossgrade and still able to use my Sibelius for wok, one thing i notice that Dorico's capability on importing XML is really superior as well
This is exactly all as I described in detail in previous posts here on the forum.
Thanks for sharing your honest opinion!
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Den, I think in your video graphic above, when you flatten the slur, it is flattened completely creating a line, but what we need here is to be flattened at the places when it is needed to be completely flat (vertically dense scores, or long slurs).
I see that Igor doesn't do anything better than Finale in that regard.

Of course, using an external editor can solve the problem (and many others), but that feature is now implemented in Dorico, which is indeed a great thing!
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Den

Post by Den »

Yes. You are completly right OCTO. Fortunately, there are so many external graphic programs for properly drawing similar graphics and this external way is much better than in Dorico and especially in oooooold Igor or similar hahaha ;-)