"Ten Music Notation Programs", including Dorico

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
jrethorst

Re: "Ten Music Notation Programs", including Dorico

Post by jrethorst »

mducharme wrote:Could you add NoteAbility to this comparison? It is free software:

http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/NoteAbility/index.html
For the 10 years this comparison has been around, I've had several requests to add other programs, but I wanted to keep it a comparison of only the most popular applications. I understand this means leaving out some good programs. It's curious how many notation programs there are, given the size of the market. Thank you though.

John R.
odod

Post by odod »

jrethorst wrote:
mducharme wrote:Could you add NoteAbility to this comparison? It is free software:

http://debussy.music.ubc.ca/NoteAbility/index.html
For the 10 years this comparison has been around, I've had several requests to add other programs, but I wanted to keep it a comparison of only the most popular applications. I understand this means leaving out some good programs. It's curious how many notation programs there are, given the size of the market. Thank you though.

John R.
this one looks interesting

https://www.columbussoft.de/p1songsheet.php?lang=en
Nuendo 12, FL Studio 20, Reaper 6, Dorico, Sibelius, HOOPUS, Pianoteq 6, Ivory II, Slate, Plugin Alliance, Soundtoys, and yeah i am a gear slut

Serenade Music Engraving Service
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Hello,

I'm a newbie in this forum. It takes's time to browse through all of the threats.
The notation program I prefer calls PriMus, developed in Germany.
Here is the Elegy-example produced with PriMus.
PriMus - Elegy.pdf
(77.02 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
Andreas
tisimst

Post by tisimst »

Welcome aboard, Andreas! Nicely done!
Music Typeface Designer & Engraver - LilyPond | Sibelius | Finale | MuseScore | Dorico | SMuFL | Inkscape | FontForge
Den

Post by Den »

Hi,
I saw this old post and experienced myself with the old program.
Here is the Элегия - M. ВЫСОТСКИЙ - example.
Элегия - M. ВЫСОТСКИЙ.pdf
(172.28 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
The notation program is called Igor Engraver
and music font is Petrucci.

Important note:
This version is a little different because I was typing notes as they were in the original copy.
In this is version not show all the guitar tags and other music signs.
In this example the full capabilities of the program are not shown,
but this example is only for basic visual and functional review of the notation in this program.
Of course, every object can be arranged as desired or function.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

The first thing I notice is that the ties seem a little flat.
Den

Post by Den »

benwiggy wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 12:11 The first thing I notice is that the ties seem a little flat.
ThnX for your notice. Good eye!

You can change this very easily in "Fixed or Manual Layout Options" (for all new Projects - as if it were a "Fixed Project"), and all links can look like anything or the way you want in any "Default" option. bar, staff, Page or any other Project. Each object and function has manual control over all visual and logical aspects.

Of course I could change my initial Default to a different visual appearance of any parameter in this case of notation.
This is just a simple test in Igor, so I left some visual things by default from my earlier projects ...
I think the point in all the previous programs is how the whole software "works" and what its logic is in engraving notation, right?
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Where did you get a copy of Igor Engraver, Den?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Den

Post by Den »

John Ruggero wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:57 Where did you get a copy of Igor Engraver, Den?
Hi Mr. Ruggero,
Frankly I don't remember ... a long time ago (10yr-15...) when I bought a PC from a man who was an old musician (no longer alive) and on which this program was already installed ... I always used this program when I was no longer had the desire to work in other notation programs. When I get to the middle of the project, complete frustration for those same other "big brother" programs happens. Then I remember having Igor and starting all over again and bringing the project to the end with pleasure and a very good result.

This is main start screen from program:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (126.17 KiB) Viewed 7523 times
Last edited by Den on 08 Mar 2020, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.