Dorico/Lilypond/SCORE?

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
OCTO

Re: Dorico/Lilypond/SCORE?

Post by OCTO »

Den wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 14:52 On your constatation about spacing this is small part of specifications in NAP :
From what I can see, all these are very standard in any notation software. Finale had almost the complete list already in 1990.

Den, do you use NoteAbility Pro? And if yes, can you provide some of your examples? If you don't have any, can you make one, I could propose a few measures?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Den

Post by Den »

OCTO wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 16:18
Den wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 14:52 On your constatation about spacing this is small part of specifications in NAP :
From what I can see, all these are very standard in any notation software. Finale had almost the complete list already in 1990.

Den, do you use NoteAbility Pro? And if yes, can you provide some of your examples? If you don't have any, can you make one, I could propose a few measures?
Hi OCTO,

From time to time I use NAP for some short score notations but not always, because I really don't need it and lately I don't get everything ...
Lately I "use" only CT and MR "functions" so I beg you not to misunderstand me :wink: Of course I can try OCTO, although I don't strictly work with the NAP program but I can make something..tell me what few measures? And I work in Windows with WMWare Virtual Machine with MacOsCatalina...
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Den wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 17:05 Of course I can try OCTO, although I don't strictly work with the NAP program but I can make something..tell me what few measures?
I have picked up these five measures, which I have done in MuseScore 2, it is a single staff violin music. I am just curious.
For other people: Dorico?
Attachments
scrsht 2020-07-08 at 23.52.01.jpg
scrsht 2020-07-08 at 23.52.01.jpg (264.28 KiB) Viewed 12225 times
scrsht 2020-07-08 at 23.51.30.jpg
scrsht 2020-07-08 at 23.51.30.jpg (257.25 KiB) Viewed 12225 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Most of this should be absolutely no problem in Dorico, with very few manual tweaks. You'd have to do a bit of manual work creating a line type and then positioning it against the stems.

I'm not sure if you can increase the number of beaming bars in a fanned group. Is that different syntactically from normal accelerando fanning?
Den

Post by Den »

OCTO wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 21:54
Den wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 17:05 Of course I can try OCTO, although I don't strictly work with the NAP program but I can make something..tell me what few measures?
I have picked up these five measures, which I have done in MuseScore 2, it is a single staff violin music. I am just curious.
For other people: Dorico?
Hi OCTO,

My VirtualMachine doesn't work at all anymore so I have to reinstall it .... In the VM I ran MacOsX Catalina and NoteAbility Pro version 3. So I had to manage and borrow a very very old Mac G5 :-( which is slow, it's a bit say it's slow, ... very slow, and I worked in the old version 2.6 so it doesn't matter, because that computer is not mine.
O.K. Your examples are very good! and at first glance they are simple, however, they are not. I am grateful to you for sharing with us a little different kind of notation your enthusiasm in this domain.
I got a little annoyed with this old machine and the old version of the program but, what's there is :-(
So please take into account that problem that happened to me.
Basically and roughly I did your examples as I could in old Mac and NAP. Many bugs have been fixed in version 3 64-bit so this version 2 only slowed me down.
By the way, for the NAP 3 program, I recommend a fast Mac!
OCTO 1jpg_Page1.jpg
OCTO 1jpg_Page1.jpg (296.28 KiB) Viewed 12169 times
Octo 2jpg_Page1.jpg
Octo 2jpg_Page1.jpg (268.74 KiB) Viewed 12169 times
I intentionally drew these lines on end (up and line arrow) so that you can see that other types of lines and similar graphics can fit into the notation. Everything is done in NAP without using any DTP program. Save to pdf and in adobe export to jpg image format. I also intentionally left some errors and each object can be further edited. Honestly, I could have edited it even better or differently, but I didn’t have much time so this is just as an example in this program.
Many object fir test purpose I change some size and the same can be bigger or smaller, and with some adjustment functions you can move to any position when convert notes to graphic object.
I see only some issue in this >version v2 < controling of slurs have some problems, but...
Like some bugs in other programs, all have better and some programs have different functions and bugs. Nothing new.
20200709_231045~2.jpg
20200709_231045~2.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 12166 times
Rafael Velasco

Post by Rafael Velasco »

Hi,

Here is a try with Dorico.
As benwiggy said, most of the manual work has to do with the lines at the end of the first system and the lines for the fanned beams.
test lines.jpg
test lines.jpg (183.82 KiB) Viewed 12133 times
I'm attaching the Dorico file too, in case anyone wants to take a look at it.
test lines.zip
(589.66 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Regards
Rafael
RMK

Post by RMK »

Nice job!
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Den, I just tried out NAP 2. It has many interesting features that I found appealing, particularly the way some elements are selected without handles present, which I wish were the case in Finale. And MusXML import seemed very good. Even Maestro, Engraver, and Petrucci fonts are available! But how this is legal, I can't imagine, except because of more lenient Canadian copyright laws?

However, i see in your examples the same problem I encountered: the staccato dos are offset over the right side of the note heads rather than centered. I looked in vain for a fix. The fact that this is the default raises a red flag for me. And as far as I could tell fine tuning of many elements is at a very rudimentary stage, making this software unusable for professional work.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

John Ruggero wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 17:38 Even Maestro, Engraver, and Petrucci fonts are available! But how this is legal, I can't imagine, except because of more lenient Canadian copyright laws?
Presumably you already have those fonts installed from Finale?

Yes, I think NoteAbility is not really a contender.

I was impressed by OCTO's original in MuseScore. I'd be interested to know how much work was involved, compared to, say, doing it in Finale. I started to attempt it in Dorico, but Rafaele's got a good result.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, benwiggy. Of course, I have the Finale fonts installed and that is sufficient. I think I was confused because NoteAbility allows only 14 specific music fonts to be used; not all music fonts, so it seemed to be an integral part of the software.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 11 Jul 2020, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com