Dorico cross-grade promotion

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
benwiggy

Dorico cross-grade promotion

Post by benwiggy »

If anyone was thinking of talking the plunge with Dorico, now is probably your best chance. There's 50% off the usual cross-grade price, so that's only £119, or similar.

https://new.steinberg.net/promotion/dorico-crossgrade/

Just show proof of your licence for Finale or Sibelius. (Screenshot of About.. dialog is good enough for Finale, certainly.)
OCTO

Re: Dorico cross-grade promotion

Post by OCTO »

Thanks for that, another member have sent me a message also. Indeed it is tempting.

It seems that a new version 4 is on the way, usually these promotions are offered before a major upgrade.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury »

No, we only just released Dorico 3.5 in May 2020. A new version is not imminent.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

dspreadbury wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 09:35 No, we only just released Dorico 3.5 in May 2020. A new version is not imminent.
Thanks, that is great!
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

OCTO wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 08:26 Indeed it is tempting.
What's more tempting is this sentence in Daniel's blog (emphasis my own):

"For Finale, you must have a full license for any version of the full Finale package from version 1.0 to Finale 26. Cut-down versions of Finale such as Allegro, PrintMusic, Finale Guitar, Finale Songwriter, and Finale Notepad do not qualify."

https://blog.dorico.com/2020/08/switch- ... 0-percent/

Obviously, I wouldn't expect this to mean you can buy two cross-grade licenses because you've got both Finale 25 and 26 on the same serial number.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

Is it possible to have Dorico running on two computers simultaneously without extra cost? I often work on two for practical reasons related to heating my house in winter &c. Or does Dorico still have restrictions in this respect?
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

David Ward wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 14:09 Is it possible to have Dorico running on two computers simultaneously without extra cost? I often work on two for practical reasons related to heating my house in winter &c. Or does Dorico still have restrictions in this respect?
You have two choices. Either 'hold' the licence on a USB dongle, and plug that into whichever computer you're sitting at; or buy a licence for each computer.

Each has their own advantages and disadvantages - if you have two 'seats', then you have to buy two upgrades, as and when, but I'd say it's more reliable than the dongle, and you can have both computers running Dorico concurrently.

If you use the dongle, you can have a 'fall-back' licence to SE (free) or Elements (small cost) if the dongle's not there, though if the project exceeds those app's limitations, it will be read-only.

Steinberg is currently reviewing its licensing methods, as technology moves on, and this may include a 2-seat licence, as with Finale, but who knows.

Given that most other commercial software allows two installations (with the exception of Office, if you buy, rather than subscribe), it is Dorico's one disappointment.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 15:51 You have two choices. Either 'hold' the licence on a USB dongle, and plug that into whichever computer you're sitting at; or buy a licence for each computer.

Each has their own advantages and disadvantages - if you have two 'seats', then you have to buy two upgrades, as and when, but I'd say it's more reliable than the dongle, and you can have both computers running Dorico concurrently.

If you use the dongle, you can have a 'fall-back' licence to SE (free) or Elements (small cost) if the dongle's not there, though if the project exceeds those app's limitations, it will be read-only.

Steinberg is currently reviewing its licensing methods, as technology moves on, and this may include a 2-seat licence, as with Finale, but who knows.

Given that most other commercial software allows two installations (with the exception of Office, if you buy, rather than subscribe), it is Dorico's one disappointment.
Interesting, the most software offers two seats license.

Can't you just un-register and re-register every time you use another computer? Is that possible?

I had a problem with Finale on Mac, and also the copyists I work with use Windows. So I have finale at MacBookPro for smaller scores and quick editing etc; and Lenovo desktop with Windows for heavy editing and collaboration.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

OCTO wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 06:36
Can't you just un-register and re-register every time you use another computer? Is that possible?
You can request "reactivation" codes to activate Dorico on a new computer, though there are limits to the number of times you can do it. The newly activated installation is then the registered one. From comments I've seen on the Dorico forum, the old installation may continue to work, though what happens long-term is unknown.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

I think this one computer only arrangement might be the deal breaker for me. I had thought of taking up the cross-grade offer to see how I got on, but I don't think this old man would cope at all well with the potential hassle if things went awry but I didn't have in on two computers.

Read on only if you don't mind my being severely off topic:

I didn't cope too well last week when my telephone (and broadband) connection blew up (literally) in a thunderstorm on Wednesday 12th. At about 07.00 just as I was putting the kettle on, there was a huge white flash in my kitchen and a very loud bang, followed by an acrid burning smell. A microfilter had blown up and its outer cover had been thrown right across the room, hit the opposite wall and bounced part way back. The BT master socket (where the telephone line connects into the house) was a charred wreck. All this was from the striking of a telegraph pole nearly a mile away! On top of that I had coincidentally chosen that day as the day for delivery of a new iPhone & formal expiry of the contract on my seven year old one (which worked OK, but unfortunately it was incompatible with most of the new software). I hadn't intended to set it up without simultaneously talking to EE (the mobile service provider) technical help via my landline, but of course on that day I had no functioning landline. Somehow, my rather shaky hands (just old age) managed the basics after the old iPhone was cut off by EE at 22.00. As a result I did at least have some kind of functioning telephone that night ‘in case’. (I'm lucky that EE 4G works in my house as I don't have to walk far for there to be no signal at all for miles.) At least my telephone line and broadband are now fully functional again thanks to very helpful Openreach engineers who worked for two days at it.

Anyway, the Dorico cross-grade offer is on for a few more weeks, so maybe…
Last edited by David Ward on 22 Aug 2020, 07:23, edited 2 times in total.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/