Finale 27 is 'coming soon'

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
benwiggy

Re: Finale 27 is 'coming soon'

Post by benwiggy »

The trouble is that Document Options Libraries will include all the settings that define which characters are use for which symbols.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

It just seems like an entirely foreseeable issue though. I mean less than an hour after it was released we were already griping about it here. :lol: They could have created a new library category that wouldn't contain any elements that would have an effect on SMuFL settings, or somehow split up Document Options, or probably other solutions as well. They did have almost 3 years to figure something out, but instead just ignored the issue, and punted it down the road.

This is just speculation and I may be totally wrong, but the integration with SmartMusic instead of any notation development seems the most telling aspect of this update. I suspect Finale is drying up as a revenue stream with most users using MuseScore or one of the zillion web-based notation programs that seem to have sprouted up, and professional users moving to Dorico. I haven't seen numbers of course but I imagine SmartMusic did well in the COVID era. I know of several schools (including my kids') that used it. If you look at MakeMusic's website under Products, they have SmartMusic listed above Finale, which is not alphabetical, indicating to me at least that MM considers it their premier product. I wouldn't be surprised to see Finale completely rolled into the SmartMusic banner in another update or two.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

A friend of mine solved the settings transfer issue with the Patterson Settings Scrapbook plug-in. Here's his FB post.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

And several of the plug-ins that add music characters, like Create Coda, Easy Tremolos, Easy Harmonics -- and even Alphanotes -- haven't been updated for SMuFL, so you get the wrong glyphs.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 15:51 And several of the plug-ins that add music characters, like Create Coda, Easy Tremolos, Easy Harmonics -- and even Alphanotes -- haven't been updated for SMuFL, so you get the wrong glyphs.
Oh, I see. reading all this I believe I will stay on v25.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)