Finale: Creating linked part staves from a single staff

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
oakapple

Finale: Creating linked part staves from a single staff

Post by oakapple »

Suppose I have a full score with paired flutes on one staff. In the parts, I'd like to have a "Flutes" book, with the two flutes on separate linked staves. (This is a common arrangement in orchestra pits.)

Is there an easy way to do this in Finale? So far, I am not seeing it. Hypothetically, you'd add the full score Flutes staff to the same part twice, with different voicing for the upper and lower. But Finale allows you to add a given staff to a given part only once.

Another option is to create separate part staves that are not visible in the full score. But those part staves are forever separate — a correction on the main staff has to be made redundantly in the part staves.

Is there any other way to do this?
David Ward

Re: Finale: Creating linked part staves from a single staff

Post by David Ward »

I think you should also ask at https://www.finaleforum.com/index.php?s ... 46f1600ef8 There are several people active on that forum who are wonderfully creative at finding ways to do things in Finale.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
oakapple

Post by oakapple »

Thanks...that's another forum I didn't know about.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

This is of course something Dorico handles with ease: create two separate Players for the Flutes, and use the Score Condensing feature to show them on one staff in the score.
Then create a new Layout with both Flutes for the part.