SMuFL font comparision

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
Fred G. Unn

Re: SMuFL font comparision

Post by Fred G. Unn »

OCTO wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 14:16 So, what if the middle white space is smaller, in another words, that the black frame is bolder only inside, thus keeping the notehead size intact?
Sorry, I've been out of town for a little over a week and am just checking back in. I can only speak to my own experience, which obviously from my hand copying perspective was more in the jazz realm of things, but my half note and quarter 2-strokes were really similar, just the half was a touch larger so there was space in the middle, and the quarter and smaller values were a bit smaller so there was no visible space. I still used an over/under stroke for quarter noteheads while I know some used a single round stroke for those. If I remember correctly, the Graphos had "Z" nibs in 0.8mm and 1.25mm, but Associated Music sold special 1.0mm nibs that either they filed down or had custom made.

My first really serious employer for better engraving was primarily a SCORE user, so I tried to model my Finale settings after her SCORE settings as much as possible. I was working at the NYC B&H rental library then too, so I tried to emulate their style as much as I could too. I can still recognize SCORE engraving pretty much instantly though. Late-90s, I mostly did SCORE input and proofreading, as I was never proficient enough at SCORE to do "rippling" and formatting the way she and the other serious SCORE users did. Still, it was a fun time to be hanging with some major musicians in NYC while in my 20s!
benwiggy

Re: SMuFL font comparision

Post by benwiggy »

I'd be happy to improve the half-note in Sebastian (hopefully without upsetting the spacing, now it's been used for a while). I'd be grateful, as ever, for your thoughts; and I'll do a bit of research and comparison.