"ad lib"bowing

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
MichelRE

"ad lib"bowing

Post by MichelRE »

So I need to know: is the following symbol recognized as meaning "down/up bowing ad lib"?

I've had 2 different string players now ask me, since they had never seen the symbol before.
Attachments
ad_lib_bowing.jpg
ad_lib_bowing.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Last edited by MichelRE on 25 Aug 2022, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
benwiggy

Re: "ad lib"bŏwing

Post by benwiggy »

It's in SMuFL, as an alternate, with the word "Pricope" beside it. I've no idea what that means. A composer/theorist?

I would certainly guess that it was a down/up symbol.
MichelRE

Re: "ad lib"bowing

Post by MichelRE »

for simply down/up one would write the two complete bow markings in a set of brackets (nv), or would place them where they are required (ie: on the beats they would apply to).

my understanding was that this specific "conjoined" symbol was the indication to continue to alternate down/up bows.

If this IS the case, it's very useful where horizontal space is limited on a staff, and where there is no room for footnotes in the parts themselves.
Otherwise, trying to include text to explain the type of specific bowing could get messy, especially where multiple languages are required.
RMK

Post by RMK »

This is a symbol that Bass players would instantly recognize. It does, as benwiggy wrote, mean down/up bow. For free bowing, best to indicate that explicitly.

I've rarely seen this used for the other strings.
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

If there's room to add ad lib. after the sign, I think its meaning would be clear to all.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MichelRE wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 14:38 So I need to know: is the following symbol recognized as meaning "down/up bowing ad lib"?

I've had 2 different string players now ask me, since they had never seen the symbol before.
As an orchestral musician (violinist) I have never seen it, but I would be able to guess what it supposed to be. Perhaps it is some "contemporary music" symbol, found in the literature by a recognized composer. I would simply avoid it since it does not save any space and looks to me as a printing mistake.

If you need up and down ad lib. - just write the first stroke and the opposite stroke next to it with "ad lib". But usually they are not placed so very close as in the picture, since I could think "quick down and than up" that would result with an accent.

But in your case (however not knowing the tempo and dynamics) I would almost automatically play with the free bowing (as decided by the leader of the group), so it is not "so very" necessary.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

the desired effect is of completely free bow changes, sort of like crowd noises? It's not a tremolo, nor is it a long sustained note with invisible bow changes.

I ended up putting a footnote in the score/parts. I was able to squeeze just enough room out of the bottom of each part's last page, and the score's last page, to include a small text block with the instructions in both English and French.