Percussion (susp. cymbal) notation question

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
MichelRE

Percussion (susp. cymbal) notation question

Post by MichelRE »

I have not written very much for percussion, other than very standard notation for the last 40 years.

But I find myself with an effect that I haven't used before (which I am MORE than certain is absolutely standard.. it's just foreign to me): I require after a short roll on a suspended cymbal for the percussionist to very softly "tap" the center of the cymbal, to create a very soft metallic bell-like sound.

Other than to write in text to "tap with the wood of the mallet", is there a symbol that would be recognized more-or-less universally as meaning this?
I know there's a circle with a dot in the center that indicates the center of the cymbal, but does this automatically imply that the performer would spin the mallet around and use the wooden end of that mallet? (I'd much rather have a metal beater of some sort, but out of respect for the instrument and the damage using metal on a cymbal causes, I will settle for wood).

I've tried look up resources online, but keep coming across marching band information, which doesn't apply to orchestral writing in quite the same way.
hautbois baryton

Re: Percussion (susp. cymbal) notation question

Post by hautbois baryton »

No, there really isn't a symbol here. I think the clearest you could be would be to specify "on crown" (or "at crown") "with wood".
Composer and engraver
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

hautbois baryton wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 20:29 No, there really isn't a symbol here. I think the clearest you could be would be to specify "on crown" (or "at crown") "with wood".
It probably varies between English speaking countries, but in my experience the more usual term in English is the ‘bell’ of the cymbal rather than the ‘crown’. At least that is the case for the middle part of a suspended cymbal. However, it's possible that the highest part of the ‘bow’ of the cymbal (the bow being most of the cymbal between the bell and the edge) might sometimes be referred to as the crown.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

thanks.

one would think, considering the sheer quantity of different symbols they've invented for percussion notation, that there would be one for this type of situation!
JJP

Post by JJP »

I usually see "bell", "on bell", or "at bell" to indicate playing the bell of the cymbal.

Some people use little pictograms to show where to play, but in my experience as a percussionist, there is no standardization to them.
There is no computer problem so complex that it cannot be solved by a sledge hammer.

Symbols of Sound - music preparation and consulting