[ANN] Ten Music Notation Programs, second edition

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
John Ruggero

Re: [ANN] Ten Music Notation Programs, second edition

Post by John Ruggero »

You are welcome, FredGUnn. Sorry, I meant the first rests in m. 2 and 3 seemed high to me. The second rests in those measure are fine. I think that keeping the rests aligned within a measure is less important than other factors. Thus, the following also stand out to me:

m. 7 eighth rest seems low, dotted quarter is questionable. I'd have to see it both ways.
m. 11 the dotted quarter rest looks high
m. 12 both rests on the second half of the measure look high
m. 14, 22, 27 the dotted quarter rest might be lower. Might be a matter of taste.
m. 20 second eighth rest looks high

I try to get as close as I can with the arpeggio signs given the constraints with the squiggles. I also like them shorter rather than longer.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 03 Mar 2023, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

All those seem fair. I was trying to keep them aligned per voice across the bar, as a 6/8 bar isn't that long, but Gould says they only need to be aligned within a beat, so you're probably right.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Fred G. Unn wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 19:07 FWIW, I guess I would do it like this:

I don't see much point in keeping the archaic repeat convention ("et poi la Coda") so I just used the modern one. Horizontal spacing and all beams and ties are my default settings and are unedited.
I am not sure why this music was chosen to represent various notation principles in comparison. Just the first system of this music is enough, and not needed to be "repetitive" throughout the page.

Maybe we can "compose" a piece that would include many different aspects of notation, or use one that has more potential.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

OCTO wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 14:56 I am not sure why this music was chosen to represent various notation principles in comparison. Just the first system of this music is enough, and not needed to be "repetitive" throughout the page.

Maybe we can "compose" a piece that would include many different aspects of notation, or use one that has more potential.
That's a great idea! While I think there is some usefulness in seeing how different programs handle the overall look of a more traditional piece, I would definitely love to see a comparison of something much more challenging for the engraver using many different techniques. I would certainly play along and submit a version.
jrethorst

Post by jrethorst »

Fine idea, and anyone's welcome to do the compiling and organizing, and use my intro from the current version if you like. Fred's point is well-taken that while the current version was intended as more of presentation of a complete page, it would be great to see comparisons of more challenging notation.
John Rethorst
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Since so much relies on the engraver and on the fonts used, in a way, we already have a super comparison tool at:

https://elbsound.studio/music-font-comparison.php
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com