Where is the best place to get sheet music perfect bound or saddle stitched?

--> Promote your services (music engraving, font creation, arranging, printing, plug-in coding...) or your publishing company. One topic per service.
JoshNichols

Where is the best place to get sheet music perfect bound or saddle stitched?

Post by JoshNichols »

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a decent (online) place to send my PDF scores and receive prints up to or close to the standard of G Henle or Baerenreiter, or Schirmer.

What do you folks advise?
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

“Complexity is layered simplicity.” – James Wiznerowicz
Harpsichordmaker

Re: Where is the best place to get sheet music perfect bound or saddle stitched?

Post by Harpsichordmaker »

I got outstanding results by Halstan, exactly two years ago: https://www.halstan.de/

You can choose the paper, the binding and so on. Great black print. They are the external facility publishers as Baerenreiter and Henle use for printing their editions. I am not sure if they still provide such service for privates and for small runs. I ordered just two copies of my 60-pages score.

I have read good opinions on Aurioprint as well, though I haven't tested myself: https://aurioprint.onepage.me/

Both facilities are located in Germany.
JoshNichols

Re: Where is the best place to get sheet music perfect bound or saddle stitched?

Post by JoshNichols »

This is great.

Happen to know rates and overhead cost? I imagine I need to order 50 or so at a time.
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

JoshNichols

Post by JoshNichols »

Are there any places in the US?

OCTO

Post by OCTO »

As far as I know, Halstan is a German company having its facilities in UK and in US. Check with them. https://www.halstan.us/
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Harpsichordmaker

Post by Harpsichordmaker »

JoshNichols wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 01:01 This is great.

Happen to know rates and overhead cost? I imagine I need to order 50 or so at a time.
Here are my data:
format: 24 cm x 32 cm (9.45in x 12,6in)
binding: saddle stitch
Cover: 240 g/sqm (designed by me)
paper: 100 g/sqm
pages: 80

2 copies.

I payed 57 euros with shipping (Germany to Italy).

I think 50 copies could benefit some discount.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

JoshNichols wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 02:12 Are there any places in the US?
I'm pretty sure Subito can do it and I've worked with them on projects before (although quite some years ago):
https://www.subitomusic.com/

I've heard good things about Black Ribbon too, but don't have any personal experience:
https://blackribbonprinting.com/
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Harpsichordmaker wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 16:17 format: 24 cm x 32 cm (9.45in x 12,6in)
The size is called NE (New Edition) and is very pleasant for making parts.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
RMK

Post by RMK »

Very close to 10 X 13, which is common in the US (like a Kalmus or Lucks orchestral part).
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

Hi Josh,
I have started to print my editions back in November 2022, and I have promised myself (and John) to write an article on my blog about the experience. Sadly for my readers, I have been submerged with continuous urgent work, of the kind that doesn't let you breathe... but I will try to summarise it here.
  • Aurioprint: this was my first choice, and the reason why I WILL write an article reviewing their service. The price is the lowest of all I tried, close to 5-6 eurocent per page when you do 100 copies or more. In all proofs they sent me, the stitches were not perfectly aligned. Sadly, it didn't end well, and for reasons I will not write in a public forum. You can contact me privately to know how it ended, or wait for the article where a detailed report will appear.
  • Halstan: I tried both DE and UK divisions. They are the most expensive all around, 8+ eurocent per page on 100+ copies, but their quality and expertise is unsurpassable. They will not send a free proof. I would still use them if I could afford them, just not now. They sadly don't do print-on-demand anymore unless you have a catalogue of "hundreds of title", since everything is automated now. I mean, they will do it, but you will pay in blood, not in currency! Still... they are incredibly professional, friendly, and invoice with a 30-day payment window, which is the best and most professional ever.
  • Primerate: Hungarian company. Outstanding quality and choice of paper and sizes. Prices between Aurioprint & Halstan. They are not dedicated music printers, but they do it regularly. They send you a free proof if you buy enough copies (70 was the lowest where this worked). Invoice on a 10-day payment window, but they produce before sending the invoice. Totally acceptable.