Beam over rest?

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
benwiggy

Beam over rest?

Post by benwiggy »

Do we think it's better to beam over the rest here, or not? The original does not -- it's 18th century; but I'm more concerned with playability and legibility than verbatim copying. (I'm beaming the vocal notes anyway!)
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (82.59 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
OR:
Screenshot 9.png
Screenshot 9.png (81.96 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
We're in a stately 6/8. It's a hemiola, of course, which might be the factor.
MalteM

Re: Beam over rest?

Post by MalteM »

If you consider changing the beaming anyway for better playability: This looks like a hemiola, how about showing this in the beaming?
document.png
document.png (19.36 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
Edit: LilyPond uses a kneed beam by default but that looks weird with the displaced rest IMO. And I just realised that you already said it’s a hemiola.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Nice. I like the idea of showing the hemiola more clearly; though it occurs over a barline elsewhere, and beaming over the bar might be a step too far.
Screenshot 10.png
Screenshot 10.png (61.74 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The hemiola beaming seems like a very good idea if you are modernizing the notation anyway. But then the slippery slope thing rears its ugly head if the hemiolas sometimes straddle the bar lines and consistency is desired.

On a different topic, why are the stems so short on the triplets in the first measure of your first example? A Dorico thing? And it puts the triplet numbers so far from the beams.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

That's my beam settings, rather than Dorico's default. They probably need adjusting.
Cor anglais 16

Post by Cor anglais 16 »

In this case I like beaming to the hemiola. But you’re right that it can get out of hand. Definitely don’t beam over the barlines in cases where there are hemiolas over barlines. If they’re all over the place, as a performer I’d rather see “normal” beaming throughout, lest it become confusing or even patronizing to see constant reminders in the beaming that “this Thing here is a hemiola!” And there’s even an interpretive decision there—maybe some of these constantly beamed hemiolas aren’t actually hemiolas, and the engraver has muddied the waters by beaming them that way. But at a major cadence I don’t mind it, and again I think this case does look more attractive as a hemiola.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Just an idea.
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 00.06.44.png
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 00.06.44.png (11.05 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
I wouldn't however rebeam the hemiola.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

I second OCTO's suggestion, since I already likes the first example, but the big interval made it look off.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

+1
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com