Dorico 5 released

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
benwiggy

Dorico 5 released

Post by benwiggy »

Dorico 5 has just been released!

The headline feature is "Stage and Space templates", which allow you to automatically place instruments in a stereo mix.

For Notators, there's an Instrument Editor, so you can create and modify instruments; their names, transpositions, scordatura, etc.

It comes bundled with four Finale SMuFL fonts; Leland from MuseScore, Sebastian and Golden Age; also the Finale Text fonts, and Nepomuk.

There are lots of improvements and efficiencies in notation input, including 'smart' handling of multiple selections.

There's also plenty of new options, properties and functionality: such as grouping in 2/2; floating rest alignment, chords, etc, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD-YoqtOsWo

Some fool has written a detailed review for Scoring Notes here:

https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/do ... c-forward/
jrethorst

Re: Dorico 5 released

Post by jrethorst »

Now that 5 is out, where would I look for a discounted price on 4.3.20?
John Rethorst
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

It's a download, so there's no old stock that they need to shift. I don't think someone can sell you their old version if they paid the upgrade price.

Your best bet is looking out for the next Steinberg Sale, when they offer substantial discounts. There's usually one in the Summer, and Black Friday.

You can get a cross-grade if you have Finale or Sibelius, for $299.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 25 May 2023, 09:27You can get a cross-grade if you have Finale or Sibelius, for $299.
Sounds good!
How is Dorico handling the export of graphics? SVG? In Sibelius you can export SVG but unfortunately it exports the whole page. It can't export only a selected part of the score.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

Dorico does something called "slices", which are whatever you choose from the score page to export as a graphic.
Is that what you're asking about?
there are multiple choices of output file to choose from.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Your review was excellent, Ben, and Dorico is making great strides. Unfortunately, I am not reading about any improvements on the notation side that would make it possible for me to use the program, but I look forward to exploring Dorico in the new 60 day demo period.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MichelRE wrote: 25 May 2023, 22:55 Dorico does something called "slices", which are whatever you choose from the score page to export as a graphic.
Is that what you're asking about?
there are multiple choices of output file to choose from.
Can you export one measure as SVG, and when opened in a vector editor it is the size of the exported measure? Sibelius exports the full page, leaving everything else blank. If I want to use that picture in a Word document, it doesn't work as expected. So I need to import the SVG picture in Inkscape first to edit it.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

this is an image I took from one of my scores to post on the Dorico forum (I had some questions about something)

as far as I can tell, SVG is one of the formats available for graphic slice export.
Attachments
violon_articulations.jpg
violon_articulations.jpg (136.46 KiB) Viewed 4077 times
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

OCTO wrote: 26 May 2023, 09:45 Can you export one measure as SVG, and when opened in a vector editor it is the size of the exported measure?
As said, Dorico has "Slices" -- a bit like Export Selection in Finale, but the selection area is saved for repeated export.

I would use PDF rather than SVG. PDF is more reliable, particularly for text/fonts, in my opinion.
OCTO wrote: 26 May 2023, 09:45Sibelius exports the full page, leaving everything else blank.
I have found that the bounding box of SVG files varies -- both on the app that exports, and the app that imports.
John Ruggero wrote: 26 May 2023, 02:07 Unfortunately, I am not reading about any improvements on the notation side that would make it possible for me to use the program, but I look forward to exploring Dorico in the new 60 day demo period.
Admittedly, they haven't yet implemented everything you've asked for, John. There were some improvements in Engraving functionality, though not many, and there has been a bit of a backlash in some quarters. (Anticipating that reaction, my review deliberately focused less on the headline "Stage/Space" stuff, and more on the productivity, fonts, etc.)

The initial release was very quick on the back of D4, and I'm sure that over the next 12 months or so, we'll see all kinds of things added: engraving, notation, audio, productivity, etc.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

benwiggy wrote: 26 May 2023, 13:29 Admittedly, they haven't yet implemented everything you've asked for, John.
Anything would surprise me. I anticipate several years before the fingering tool is comprehensive and flexible enough to meet my needs. And it may actually never get there, since very few users need it. And it may be like that with other notational aspects. This, to me, is the flaw in the "semantic" model. The programmers have too much work to do to keep up with and satisfy the many requirements in a timely way.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com