Dorico 5 released

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
benwiggy

Re: Dorico 5 released

Post by benwiggy »

John Ruggero wrote: 27 May 2023, 02:17This, to me, is the flaw in the "semantic" model. The programmers have too much work to do to keep up with and satisfy the many requirements in a timely way.
It's true that "everything not explicitly implemented is in doubt"; though the program has much more flexibility than it used to, for 'workarounds'. But there are many advantages to it over the "put something somewhere" model.

Technology is leaping ahead from the ideas and concepts of the previous century. It won't be long before you can collect a large sample of mid-century plate engraving, give it to an AI program to learn, then give it some notes and say "Lay it out like that".
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Eventually, AI will make everyone obsolete, and we can spend our time figuring out what to do with ourselves.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

John Ruggero wrote: 27 May 2023, 13:51 Eventually, AI will make everyone obsolete, and we can spend our time figuring out what to do with ourselves.
They said that about computers in the 80s! AI will be no different to what computers have already done. They have made processes obsolete, not people.

Plate Engravers used to spend 8 hours (?) on a single page; now you can do it on a computer in 20 minutes. Next, we will just say "Computer, prepare me an edition of The Art of Fugue, and fill in the fourth subject for me."
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Processes can be good for the soul. In any case, I don't need or want a computer to think for me, just allow me to express myself freely and without limitations while sparing me unnecessarily tedious work. I eagerly await a music notation product that can actually do that. So far, not so good. There still isn't a single notation program that can do it all notationally.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

One week on, and there's a .10 release, which fixes some of the issues that turned up after launch, and even added some small additional feature improvements.
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

I've been working on a revision of one of my pieces, and have just finished the short first movement. Is there a trial version of the latest Dorico available for comparison yet?
Composer and engraver
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

there should be.
but I doubt you'll notice any significant changes.
the changes were mostly regarding playback with different libraries.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

hautbois baryton wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 17:34 I've been working on a revision of one of my pieces, and have just finished the short first movement. Is there a trial version of the latest Dorico available for comparison yet?
An existing project should look identical. There are of course new engraving options and properties that you can try out to improve your layout.
BakkumD

Post by BakkumD »

OCTO,
Can you export one measure as SVG, and when opened in a vector editor it is the size of the exported measure? Sibelius exports the full page, leaving everything else blank. If I want to use that picture in a Word document, it doesn't work as expected. So I need to import the SVG picture in Inkscape first to edit it.
I have found for exporting single measure graphic items from notation apps, it is easier to create a custom page layout equal to the size of the graphic you need. Design the page layout to include the music you want (single or multiple measures) and then export this single page or multiple pages to your desired format. I have used this with Finale and Dorico often. It works well.

This would allow you to export a series of individual examples (pages) in one action. I use this method to export dozens of single measure musical examples in one step. Advantages include: speed, single action export, all examples are exactly the same size and the music is in the exact same place in all examples. The setups are different between all three notation apps, but once you set up some templates, recreating graphic snippets will become pretty easy.