Teaching from terrible editions!

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
benwiggy

Teaching from terrible editions!

Post by benwiggy »

Just received an email from the Head of Music at my daughter's school, about their forthcoming production of Dido & Aeneas. It included the CPDL edition that they're using, which is ... not particularly well laid-out.

I'm wondering whether to reply, along that the lines that it does students no favours to be regularly exposed to low-quality engraving that breaks conventions and standards of notation and engraving....

I know times are tight, but ... given what I pay them... :eek:
John Ruggero

Re: Teaching from terrible editions!

Post by John Ruggero »

Assuming that they are under monetary constrains, I'm not seeing any good, free alternatives that include a well-realized harpsichord part. The "Fowler" edition, if that is the one they are using, has a very suspicious realization, and as you said it is not well-engraved. Perhaps you should make Dido your next project.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Yes, that was my alternative move -- though slightly more work than a hasty email!
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Well, that backfired. I've been asked to come in and give a talk about my work. :lol:

However, it turns out they are using the Novello edition; they just sent the CPDL files for the students to have at home.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I'd say that worked out well. Very nice.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com