Single note tremolo stem length

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Hector Pascal

Single note tremolo stem length

Post by Hector Pascal »

Hi everyone,

After reading Gould p.222, I tried to improve on Exhibit A.
Does Exhibit B look right? Any other improvements that I should make to Exhibit B?
PS: The reason that the tie stops short of the note is because there are hidden playback notes (flutter tongue). I will delete the hidden notes to fix that issue.
Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 3.50.57 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 3.50.57 pm.png (510.57 KiB) Viewed 9514 times
Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 3.54.31 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 3.54.31 pm.png (390.54 KiB) Viewed 9514 times
HP.
NeeraWM

Re: Single note tremolo stem length

Post by NeeraWM »

It looks ok but I'm wondering:
1. if this is Finale, why do Tremolo slashes are so slanted? I've never seen them being so angled. I always strive to have one end sit or straddle and the other end straddle or sit —and I'm struggling with Dorico because none of them seems to be properly placed (and always by a little, but it doesn't seem like something changing defaults can improve a lot)
2. off-topic but... why is the stem attached a bit inside the notehead, not perfectly flush left? (OCD, I know...)
Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal »

Thanks for your reply NeeraWM.

1. That is a very good question. I was curious about that as well. The Finale tremolo symbol that I used is the default version. I would prefer the tremolo to sit/straddle more artistically. It might have something to do with my staff size % reduction (it's a reduced sized instrument staff on a piano score).
2. I am unable to see that... maybe my eyes are overworked!

I will keep working on it :)
Cheerio,
HP.
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

I've not been using Finale professionally for the last... 15 years lol ... so I can't help, but I'm sure someone else here will!

Attached is your screenshot with my markup. The stem is offset, by about 1 pixel according to your screen resolution, but if you export PDF and zoom as much as you can you should see the difference.
Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 3.54.31 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 3.54.31 pm.png (391.85 KiB) Viewed 9456 times
This is something that Dorico PDFs are doing to me quite often—if not always—but since they look good onscreen the only solution I found was to use Acrobat Pro Preflight feature to Convert to Outlines (sadly, it increases the file size quite a bit).
Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal »

Hi NeeraWM, thanks! ah yes I see it now. As I am not expert in that area, I can only imagine it is something to do with the screen displaying the font... My display resolution is 30-inch (2560 × 1600). When I print my PDF it looks fine, and it looks perfect when I zoom right in on my PDF, but yes I can see what you mean on screen when I zoom in on screen with the Finale file.
HP.
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

I got very picky with these because PDFs exported from Dorico on macOS sometimes show the single elements of the note (flag, stem, notehead) to be very slightly (but enough to be visible and irritating to the eye) offset.
I have reported this on the Adobe InDesign forum when I first noticed this, but since this happens only with PDFs exported from Dorico—and the Dorico team has been unable to reproduce this so far—I resorted to use Acrobat's Convert to Outlines.