On the use of tablets and BT page turners

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
NeeraWM

Re: On the use of tablets and BT page turners

Post by NeeraWM »

David Ward wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 19:01 Can players using parts on iPads etc mark fingerings, bowings, breathings and all the rest in these? Or do they still have to rely on paper parts for that sort of thing? If iPad parts can be annotated in this way, when the string section principals mark the bowings before first rehearsal, how does this become available to the rest of the section? &c &c &c.
I believe that, for this kind of mark spreading, one should use an app like Newzik, which was created expressively for this reason.
I don't use it too much, and even then only for in-person teaching, though I prefer other apps not created specially for sheet music.
ForScore seems to be the app of choice of "most people", though I don't like some parts of it and still prefer printed music for performance.
hautbois baryton

Post by hautbois baryton »

Most of us use ForScore, which allows us to make extensive annotations (including dynamic, bowing, etc. in addition to text, drawing).
Composer and engraver
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

that's the brilliant thing about using the ipads for parts...
the concert master can make changes in their part, and other parts will suddenly get the same markings, if that is what is wanted.
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

MichelRE wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 19:16 the concert master can make changes in their part, and other parts will suddenly get the same markings, if that is what is wanted.
What app is used to achieve this synchronisation?
I have never seen this happen in practice.
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

NeeraWM wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 21:15 What app is used to achieve this synchronisation?
I have never seen this happen in practice.
I'd have to ask at the next concert.
I don't know which app as I personally don't use an iPad.
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

Sounds good, let me know at your earliest convenience!