Musescore

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
Mr_Incognito
Posts: 56
Joined: 11 Apr 2026, 15:08

Musescore

Post by Mr_Incognito »

Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.

I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.

I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?

Thanks!
benwiggy
Posts: 1084
Joined: 11 Apr 2016, 19:42

Re: Musescore

Post by benwiggy »

Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale.
I'd suggest that would be a pretty long road! Sure, all software is mortal, but Dorico is barely out of its infancy.

By the time Dorico and MuseScore are elderly and in danger of being left behind by progress, we're likely to have much better transition tools than MusicXML.

The best way to get answers to your questions is to give MS a try. It's free, after all. Have a look at the teaching resources and tutorials that have been created for it. Or the MuseScore forum, where you'll get answers from experienced users.
User avatar
OCTO
Posts: 2064
Joined: 05 Oct 2015, 06:52
Location: Sweden

Re: Musescore

Post by OCTO »

Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14 Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.

I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.

I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?

Thanks!
Give us an example of your score, or whatever similar score for comparison.
Everything depends, so there is no a direct answer. I have produced quite remarkable score (yet for one instrument) in MuseScore 2.

Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2026.2• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 12+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
User avatar
Magnus Johansson
Posts: 272
Joined: 07 Oct 2025, 10:51
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Musescore

Post by Magnus Johansson »

Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14 Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.

I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.

I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?

Thanks!
Hello, and welcome! In the following video Martin Keary explains hiding empty staves in MuseScore Studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZzXV1dZWI
Igor Engraver 1.7 via CrossOver on Debian GNU/Linux or Q4OS.
Mr_Incognito
Posts: 56
Joined: 11 Apr 2026, 15:08

Re: Musescore

Post by Mr_Incognito »

Magnus Johansson wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 18:35
Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14 Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.

I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.

I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?

Thanks!
Hello, and welcome! In the following video Martin Keary explains hiding empty staves in MuseScore Studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZzXV1dZWI
Thanks for the input everybody!

What I notice in scores displayed online on Musescore is apparent lack of flexibility when it comes to space between staves.
User avatar
Magnus Johansson
Posts: 272
Joined: 07 Oct 2025, 10:51
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Musescore

Post by Magnus Johansson »

Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 18:52
What I notice in scores displayed online on Musescore is apparent lack of flexibility when it comes to space between staves.
Here is what the MuseScore Studio Handbook says about "Pages and vertical spacing": https://handbook.musescore.org/formatti ... al-spacing
Igor Engraver 1.7 via CrossOver on Debian GNU/Linux or Q4OS.
User avatar
odod
Posts: 231
Joined: 25 Nov 2015, 15:10

Re: Musescore

Post by odod »

I think Musescore is the easiest in terms of handling everything with just right click and opening the layout properties. And vertical spacing can be done with track spacer.
De antwoorden zijn altijd al aanwezig

Serenade Music Engraving Service
Mr_Incognito
Posts: 56
Joined: 11 Apr 2026, 15:08

Re: Musescore

Post by Mr_Incognito »

Thanks everybody for the input! Seems like this forum is very lively and offers good ideas.

One thing I noticed - nobody said Musescore is my main daily driver. :(
User avatar
odod
Posts: 231
Joined: 25 Nov 2015, 15:10

Re: Musescore

Post by odod »

Welcome aboard, here we have many real experts for music engraving and also profound composers. I am just random guy who loves to learn anything.
For my Numbered Notation and Choir job I uses Musescore definitely because it can use CANTAI and works with my own plugin,
While for others I uses only Sibelius because easy to change everything even though the workflow is a bit tedious, Dorico is good but it's like programming where you have to set everything and unable to drag anything to make spacing etc.
Sorry if it's OOT
De antwoorden zijn altijd al aanwezig

Serenade Music Engraving Service
User avatar
Magnus Johansson
Posts: 272
Joined: 07 Oct 2025, 10:51
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Musescore

Post by Magnus Johansson »

Mr_Incognito wrote: 12 Apr 2026, 03:30 Thanks everybody for the input! Seems like this forum is very lively and offers good ideas.
You're welcome! Have you considered submitting test results and a rating for Finale at https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=454?
Igor Engraver 1.7 via CrossOver on Debian GNU/Linux or Q4OS.
Post Reply