Musescore
-
Mr_Incognito
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 11 Apr 2026, 15:08
Musescore
Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.
I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?
Thanks!
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.
I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?
Thanks!
Re: Musescore
I'd suggest that would be a pretty long road! Sure, all software is mortal, but Dorico is barely out of its infancy.Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale.
By the time Dorico and MuseScore are elderly and in danger of being left behind by progress, we're likely to have much better transition tools than MusicXML.
The best way to get answers to your questions is to give MS a try. It's free, after all. Have a look at the teaching resources and tutorials that have been created for it. Or the MuseScore forum, where you'll get answers from experienced users.
Re: Musescore
Give us an example of your score, or whatever similar score for comparison.Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14 Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.
I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?
Thanks!
Everything depends, so there is no a direct answer. I have produced quite remarkable score (yet for one instrument) in MuseScore 2.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2026.2• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 12+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
- Magnus Johansson
- Posts: 272
- Joined: 07 Oct 2025, 10:51
- Location: Sweden
- Contact:
Re: Musescore
Hello, and welcome! In the following video Martin Keary explains hiding empty staves in MuseScore Studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZzXV1dZWIMr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14 Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.
I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?
Thanks!
Igor Engraver 1.7 via CrossOver on Debian GNU/Linux or Q4OS.
-
Mr_Incognito
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 11 Apr 2026, 15:08
Re: Musescore
Thanks for the input everybody!Magnus Johansson wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 18:35Hello, and welcome! In the following video Martin Keary explains hiding empty staves in MuseScore Studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZzXV1dZWIMr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14 Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.
I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?
Thanks!
What I notice in scores displayed online on Musescore is apparent lack of flexibility when it comes to space between staves.
- Magnus Johansson
- Posts: 272
- Joined: 07 Oct 2025, 10:51
- Location: Sweden
- Contact:
Re: Musescore
Here is what the MuseScore Studio Handbook says about "Pages and vertical spacing": https://handbook.musescore.org/formatti ... al-spacingMr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 18:52
What I notice in scores displayed online on Musescore is apparent lack of flexibility when it comes to space between staves.
Igor Engraver 1.7 via CrossOver on Debian GNU/Linux or Q4OS.
Re: Musescore
I think Musescore is the easiest in terms of handling everything with just right click and opening the layout properties. And vertical spacing can be done with track spacer.
De antwoorden zijn altijd al aanwezig
Serenade Music Engraving Service
Serenade Music Engraving Service
-
Mr_Incognito
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 11 Apr 2026, 15:08
Re: Musescore
Thanks everybody for the input! Seems like this forum is very lively and offers good ideas.
One thing I noticed - nobody said Musescore is my main daily driver.
One thing I noticed - nobody said Musescore is my main daily driver.
Re: Musescore
Welcome aboard, here we have many real experts for music engraving and also profound composers. I am just random guy who loves to learn anything.
For my Numbered Notation and Choir job I uses Musescore definitely because it can use CANTAI and works with my own plugin,
While for others I uses only Sibelius because easy to change everything even though the workflow is a bit tedious, Dorico is good but it's like programming where you have to set everything and unable to drag anything to make spacing etc.
Sorry if it's OOT
For my Numbered Notation and Choir job I uses Musescore definitely because it can use CANTAI and works with my own plugin,
While for others I uses only Sibelius because easy to change everything even though the workflow is a bit tedious, Dorico is good but it's like programming where you have to set everything and unable to drag anything to make spacing etc.
Sorry if it's OOT
De antwoorden zijn altijd al aanwezig
Serenade Music Engraving Service
Serenade Music Engraving Service
- Magnus Johansson
- Posts: 272
- Joined: 07 Oct 2025, 10:51
- Location: Sweden
- Contact:
Re: Musescore
You're welcome! Have you considered submitting test results and a rating for Finale at https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=454?Mr_Incognito wrote: 12 Apr 2026, 03:30 Thanks everybody for the input! Seems like this forum is very lively and offers good ideas.
Igor Engraver 1.7 via CrossOver on Debian GNU/Linux or Q4OS.