Metrico: Font for metric equations

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
liuscorne

Re: Metrico: Font for metric equations

Post by liuscorne »

@ Giangi: MS Word's use of ligatures, alternate sets etc. is somewhat limited (and occasionally unpredictable). You might want to try Libre Office whose support of advanced typographic features is more advanced (which is remarkable given the fact that the program is free). Maybe the font works better in Libre Office. (I haven't tested the program myself; but I have a colleague who highly recommends Libre Office's support of Opentype features.)
Giangi

Post by Giangi »

I'm downloading Libre Office right now to take a look at it and try Metrico font behavior.
thx!
Giangi

Post by Giangi »

Just tried Metrico on LibreOffice: very weird...
See the attachment. I typed a triplet of quarter notes (you see the 3 and bracket?), 2 8th notes, 2 16th notes and a dotted 8th and a 16th.
It doesn't seem to work.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 14.43.05.png
Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 14.43.05.png (25.17 KiB) Viewed 9932 times
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

Metrico seems not to support quarter triplets. The other notes are cut off in display but print and print preview are correct.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

MalteM wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 16:32 Metrico seems not to support quarter triplets. The other notes are cut off in display but print and print preview are correct.
Perhaps it's not that Metrico does not support triplets, but that Word doesn't support the necessary font ligature types that Metrico uses?

From the Compatibility Notes:
Metrico makes use of combined OpenType features in a somewhat unorthodox way. Theoretically the font should work in any modern application that supports the LIGA, CALT and KERN features.

Dorico: Metrico works perfectly with Dorico on Windows.
Due to a bug in the Qt framework that Dorico is built upon the font does only partly work in Dorico on Mac. Basic figures and swing indications should work, everything else that involves vertical placement of tuplet numbers will currently not work.

Finale: Finale’s OpenType support is a little unpredictable. Metrico seems to work, but there’s no guarantee that your particular metric equation will show up as expected.

Sibelius: Not tested. I expect Metrico to work fine with Sibelius 2018.11 or greater.
Giangi

Post by Giangi »

I think @benwiggy is right. Metrico works fine in Dorico (I use Mac OSX), but it doesn't work as it should in MS Word nor in LibreOffice...
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

It does work for me in LibreOffice (6.3.4 on Manjaro Linux). It just doesn’t have quarter triplets (3qqq), only a single quarter triplet (3q) and eighth triplets (3eee). The display in LibreOffice is not optimal (it is cut off above the regular line height) but print preview, pdf export and print all show the correct complete result.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Giangi wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 13:49 Just tried Metrico on LibreOffice: very weird...
See the attachment. I typed a triplet of quarter notes (you see the 3 and bracket?), 2 8th notes, 2 16th notes and a dotted 8th and a 16th.
It doesn't seem to work.
Giangi,
How do you want to use the font in your document?
I am just curious, can you make a screenshot?
Otherwise you might consider LaTex for typing music/text. It takes time to learn how to do it, but the result is beautiful.
Inserting music within text is not just a simple case.
You have many available symbols in a font such as GNU Free Serif. This is done in plain Unicode:
┏ 3 ┓
♩♩♩
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Florian

Post by Florian »

MalteM wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 09:32 It does work for me in LibreOffice (6.3.4 on Manjaro Linux). It just doesn’t have quarter triplets (3qqq), only a single quarter triplet (3q) and eighth triplets (3eee). The display in LibreOffice is not optimal (it is cut off above the regular line height) but print preview, pdf export and print all show the correct complete result.
That’s correct, I haven’t added quarter note triplets. If anybody needs them, let me know and I’ll look into adding them.

I don’t use MS Office so I can’t test the font there, but I’m not surprised to hear that it doesn’t quite work there. I’m afraid there’s nothing I can do about that.