Tantacrul Dorico video

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
DatOrganistTho

Re: Tantacrul Dorico video

Post by DatOrganistTho »

Florian wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 20:47 Actually, the Dorico defense front (including me) might have been overreacting. This post on the Dorico user forum sheds some light on how critique is usually handled among professional designers. According to that post, the video is actually both high praise for Dorico and a valuable professional assessment.

Not sure what to make of it and until I am I'll be a wise man and remain silent.
To be fair, I can see how it might be high flattery from a professional designer perspective, but most of Tantacrul's audience are average users or worse, new users who are looking for excuses to be immature.
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
mducharme

Post by mducharme »

From the MuseScore 4 preview announcement:
Tantacrul.PNG
Tantacrul.PNG (52.69 KiB) Viewed 7065 times
Although Tantacrul is clear in his reply to that comment regarding what he actually meant, I think some people will misread Tantacrul's video, like the user in the attached image, as "Tantacrul trashed Dorico, it is nothing to bother with if you already use MuseScore".
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Well, I was hoping that the sands of time would have blown over this by now.

Anyone who has an open mind about using Dorico would be much better served by spending an hour watching the video tutorials on Dorico's YouTube channel, than by watching Tantacrul's video.

I thank my lucky stars every day that I switched to Dorico, and continually find it a joy to use.
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

I didn't find Tantacrul's opinions very helpful. Too juvenile in its strong wordings.

Does anyone know of a more mature (and of course independent) review of the program?

I might have missed something already presented here, but, if so, please direct me to that.
Last edited by Anders Hedelin on 29 Jun 2020, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
Florian

Post by Florian »

Anders Hedelin wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 14:49 Does anyone know of a more mature (and of course independent) review of the program?
I don't, which is quite interesting.

I have contributed to some of the reviews on scoringnotes.com, and while we are always explicitly encouraged to voice our critique, the general spirit is usually extremely positive. I wouldn't even call those reviews independent, to be honest, just because we all love the software so much! Though we are not affiliated with Steinberg in any way.

Daniel is collating reviews in a pinned post on the main user forum. Maybe it's worth scouring the last posts there.
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

Florian wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 15:07 Daniel is collating reviews in a pinned post on the main user forum. Maybe it's worth scouring the last posts there.
i haven't found that yet, but maybe it will turn up. Thanks anyway.
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

Anders Hedelin wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 14:49 I didn't find Tantacrul's opinions very helpful. Too juvenile in its strong wordings.

Does anyone know of a more mature (and of course independent) review of the program?

I might have missed something already presented here, but, if so, please direct me to that.
It is going to be very hard to find an independent review of the program, because 99% of users are coming from another platform. But, you can find more mature reviews, such as Dan Kreider's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uczTtigsOk
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
DatOrganistTho

Post by DatOrganistTho »

Tantacrul seems to be the most misunderstood person in the world? He did not mean to imply people shouldn't bother with Dorico? The fact that there's a great number of people who took his video to mean that you shouldn't bother with Dorico shows that he's got to update his communication game.
LilyPond Lover
Composer and Transcriber
Teacher and Performer
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

DatOrganistTho wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 17:20 The fact that there's a great number of people who took his video to mean that you shouldn't bother with Dorico shows that he's got to update his communication game.
Maybe he should upgrade from communication game to communication?

Thanks for the link to Dan Kreider. That one was helpful, actually.
Last edited by Anders Hedelin on 29 Jun 2020, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Florian

Post by Florian »

Anders Hedelin wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 15:27
Florian wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 15:07 Daniel is collating reviews in a pinned post on the main user forum. Maybe it's worth scouring the last posts there.
i haven't found that yet, but maybe it will turn up. Thanks anyway.
It's here.