Type 1 Postscript fonts now obsolete

Music notation symbols, fonts, font sources and font creation, SmuFL.
benwiggy

Re: Type 1 Postscript fonts now obsolete

Post by benwiggy »

Ah: I see the confusion. OpenType can contain Type 1 PostScript data, but the font format itself is OK.

It's only the original 1980s Type 1 LWFN fonts, which have separate files for printer and for screen, that are on their way out.
Last edited by benwiggy on 16 Oct 2020, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 17:49 Type 1 is not the only type of PostScript font!

Type 1s are the original 1980s PostScript fonts, with a separate file for screen bitmaps.

OTF fonts still contain PostScript data, they just dispense with the need for separate screen and printer files; and they can hold 1000s of characters.
OK, so I have basically understood nothing.
Shall I convert my font to another OTF type, benwiggy?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
composerjk

Post by composerjk »

Glancing at a random OCTOwah.otf posted in 2015, it looks like the format should be fine.

It's an OpenType font with CFF/PostScript outlines. Being more pedantic, the outlines are cubic Bézier curves (TrueType outlines are quadratic Bézier curves); an OpenType font can also include those types of outlines. There's the unfortunate confusion that some may have referred to them as Type 1 OpenType (though no one I know does, today).

The name table in that 2015 OCTOwah.otf was missing a version field, but perhaps that was an old version.
Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

OCTO wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 09:28 OK, so I have basically understood nothing.
Shall I convert my font to another OTF type, benwiggy?
No. OTF fonts are perfectly fine. OpenType is a more modern format, the lovechild of PostScript and TrueType. :???:

The only fonts that are affected are the 'original' Mac typefaces with separate printer and screen files. On Windows, they have .pfb and .pfa extensions.