Score with no dots!

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
Romanos401

Re: Score with no dots!

Post by Romanos401 »

benwiggy wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 11:31 Also a piece by a significant living composer from Peters, also dated 2002, which is the worst piece of engraving from a commercial publisher I've seen. All the ties are slurs!! The dynamics symbols are set in a text font, sometimes roman and sometimes italic (with no reason to the alternation). There are no word extensions, and the lyrics crash into each other and low-hanging fruit. Hyphens are inserted randomly.
I was SHOCKED a year ago when I received the new barenreiter Handel organ works. Atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. They should hang their heads in shame over that one.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The decline in Barenreiter has been discussed previously on this forum. A decline is now also apparent at Henle in both engraving and editing. The suggested piano fingering in the Henle editions has never been outstanding and that continues. Wiener Urtext seems to be maintaining a high level, although it has occasionally seemed a little more error-prone than the former publisher.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
JoshNichols

Post by JoshNichols »

It seems as though when the major publisher's went digital they all suffered the same problem: errors and layout golems live on the page.

I just ordered some of Bach's organ music from the Bare, and I was shocked and sad to see they switched several of their editions (not all of them) to computerized engraving. They're likely still using Score, but the quality is so mismatched compared to the older scores. It's a shame, really, considering I used to have the older versions!
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

“Complexity is layered simplicity.” – James Wiznerowicz