Interesting vertical position, Messiaen

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
OCTO

Interesting vertical position, Messiaen

Post by OCTO »

A very interesting vertical position of the first of :2 notes, where at the same beat we have two voices + clef change! I believe this was how Messiaen wanted to be written, and not done by editor:
432.jpg
432.jpg (107.23 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Re: Interesting vertical position, Messiaen

Post by John Ruggero »

Its interesting, but of the many ways it could be handled, I think he picked the worst and the editor should have intervened. The treble clef notes in the left hand are not something new as the notation makes it appear, but continue from the four upper notes in the first part of each measure. Better that they be positioned under the corresponding notes in the right hand.
example.jpeg
example.jpeg (90.24 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I think the most interesting aspect here is the accent, which affects only the 16-note, despite the fact it is the same note found in the second voice (as thinking orchestral).
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

No one would think that the accent pertains to the chord on beat one, and I think that the situation is the same on beat three. But if he were concerned about that, the he could have written:
example 2.jpeg
example 2.jpeg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com