Something in the works at Sib

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
Fred G. Unn

Something in the works at Sib

Post by Fred G. Unn »

I don't even have Sib installed anymore, but I have a friend who posted about this on FB. "Sam at Sibelius" posted this on the Sib forum today:

"Again, sorry we haven't been able to say anything about what's coming next. We've been working on something new and ambitious, details of which will start to become apparent soon.

I can though let you know it'll be arriving in a week's time (fingers crossed!), so not long to go now."

Here's the link:
http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcen ... groupid=3&

Curious what that means ...
benwiggy

Re: Something in the works at Sib

Post by benwiggy »

They've put some little videos on Twitter and their Facebook page. They're making an announcement on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/Avid/status/1418337590927835143
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

And what is the news? A tablet version?
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
RMK

Post by RMK »

Yup
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

Yes, Sibelius launched their iPad app the same week as Dorico, by a complete coincidence.

https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/si ... s-on-ipad/
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

I am somehow and probably old-fashioned.
Just a question: why?
From couch to coffeeshop, work on scores anywhere with your favorite Sibelius tools at your fingertips—literally.
To whom is it appealing? From couch to coffeeshop? Hm... Many questions, no answers.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

OCTO wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 13:40 To whom is it appealing? From couch to coffeeshop? Hm... Many questions, no answers.
Notation apps can't afford to target only professional engravers. All kinds of people are writing (or want to write) all kinds of music. Teachers and students (from early years to post-grad); Pop bands, Jazzers, Church DoMs, Music Theatre, Performers of all kinds, Composers, Musicologists; etc, etc.

If the millions of downloads of MuseScore are to be believed, there is a huge appetite for creating music notation. Lots of people have an iPad instead of a laptop.