SCORE 3.1 [Looking to Buy]

Printing, binding, promotion and the business side of engraving.
George M19

SCORE 3.1 [Looking to Buy]

Post by George M19 »

Hi all,

I've recently been in contact with a publishing company about doing some engraving work and the owner wants me to try and get SCORE 3.1, as that is what they prefer to use. If anyone has SCORE 3.1 and is willing to sell the disk to me or knows someone that is willing to sell the disk, please let me know.

I'm not sure exactly where to start for this kind of search. If anyone has a better forum/outlet for this kind of query, let me know.

Thank you,
George M.
JoshNichols

Re: SCORE 3.1 [Looking to Buy]

Post by JoshNichols »

I have been pining for SCORE for some time, and I'm not sure you'll find anyone willing to part with it. Besides, there is the EULA which may/may not stipulate that you may not transfer licenses.

But, this doesn't matter, since you are outta' luck. Leland Smith died several years ago and his estate has abandoned the software altogether. Don't hold your breath.
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

“Complexity is layered simplicity.” – James Wiznerowicz
NorFonts

Post by NorFonts »

George M19 wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 00:20 Hi all,

I've recently been in contact with a publishing company about doing some engraving work and the owner wants me to try and get SCORE 3.1, as that is what they prefer to use. If anyone has SCORE 3.1 and is willing to sell the disk to me or knows someone that is willing to sell the disk, please let me know.

I'm not sure exactly where to start for this kind of search. If anyone has a better forum/outlet for this kind of query, let me know.

Thank you,
George M.
SCORE music notation software used to use a music font called Leland the one that was developed by †Smith Leland (the developer of SCORE).
Leland is a font family modeled after the appearance of the symbols produced by the venerable SCORE music publishing application, and named after its creator, Leland Smith, who sadly passed away in 2013. The font was designed by Martin Keary and Simon Smith, and is made available under the SIL Open Font License.

Leland is the default music font in MuseScore 3.6 and later: to obtain a copy, either download and install MuseScore, or visit the font’s GitHub page:
https://github.com/MuseScoreFonts/Leland
You can even use Leland music font in Dorico in case you need to.
Nor Eddine Bahha
https://norfonts.ma
Jazz pianist, composer/arranger, author and Type Designer
JAZZOLOGY Book: https://www.halleonard.com/product/311167/jazzology
RMK

Post by RMK »

Actually, SCORE did not use a music font. Everything was vector based except for actual text items.

The Leland font was an attempt to reproduce the look of SCORE. Note that your quoted text states "modeled after".
NorFonts

Post by NorFonts »

RMK wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 13:00 Actually, SCORE did not use a music font. Everything was vector based except for actual text items.

The Leland font was an attempt to reproduce the look of SCORE. Note that your quoted text states "modeled after".
Oh... didn't know.
Nor Eddine Bahha
https://norfonts.ma
Jazz pianist, composer/arranger, author and Type Designer
JAZZOLOGY Book: https://www.halleonard.com/product/311167/jazzology
George M19

Post by George M19 »

JoshNichols wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 03:01 I have been pining for SCORE for some time, and I'm not sure you'll find anyone willing to part with it. Besides, there is the EULA which may/may not stipulate that you may not transfer licenses.

But, this doesn't matter, since you are outta' luck. Leland Smith died several years ago and his estate has abandoned the software altogether. Don't hold your breath.
Thanks. I was afraid that may be the case....

@NorFonts:
Yes, I am familiar with MuseScore and the recently designed Leland font. It is well-designed, though it has some striking departures from the original design. That being said, the publisher is less concerned about the glyphs/font in SCORE and more concerned about the output it produces; things like slur/tie shapes, note spacing, non-standard notation, etc.

As I said in the OP: They use SCORE in-house and would prefer I get it. But if that's not possible, then so be it.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

I used to have the DOS version (last version I had was likely 3.0, 3.1?), but have no idea what happened to the disks. It does appear like you can still purchase the Windows version of WINSCORE 5.01, which I don't think really ever caught on with SCORE users:
http://www.maresova.net/winscore/purchase.html

You could also contact San Andreas Press and see if they have a mechanism to sell you 3.1 too.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Also, if you can buy it, I always found Tom Brodhead's subroutines pretty much essential too, especially LJ, VJ, and BEAM, and used them on everything I did.
https://bmt-systems.com/score/
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

George M19 wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 00:20 I've recently been in contact with a publishing company about doing some engraving work and the owner wants me to try and get SCORE 3.1, as that is what they prefer to use.
Software is transitory, like life itself in this mortal realm. Any company whose business relies on software that is legally unobtainable, unsupported and discontinued is building a house on sand, and needs to re-evaluate their business strategy. I'd just say "That's not available. What current software would you like me to use instead?" (Though I appreciate that he who pays the piper calls the tune.)

TBH, I'm not convinced that SCORE is necessarily the high-water-mark of music engraving, without which all results will be inferior. I dare say you could produce results just as good, if not better, in Finale (albeit in a more labour-intensive process), or other software, depending on the notation.
JoshNichols wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 03:01 Besides, there is the EULA which may/may not stipulate that you may not transfer licenses.
If the company is no longer a legal entity, are you still contractually bound by the EULA?
Fred G. Unn wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 18:27 It does appear like you can still purchase the Windows version of WINSCORE 5.01, which I don't think really ever caught on with SCORE users:
http://www.maresova.net/winscore/purchase.html
That link says "You may also wish to purchase the Adobe Type Basics package, as its use in WINSCORE is highly recommended for displaying text fonts on the screen."
Adobe Type Basics is itself a discontinued product, consisting of Type 1 PostScript fonts, which are deprecated....

The latest version of WINSCORE is from 8 years ago, so it's barely maintained, too. The San Andreas website has loads of dead links, and a Flash™ video demonstration. :???:
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

benwiggy wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 10:15 If the company is no longer a legal entity, are you still contractually bound by the EULA?
This is an interesting point. IIRC there wasn't any sort of copy protection on the software as it was a DOS program. I don't have any idea of what the legality is here, but if it's really dead and not supported by any entity at all any more (this would have to be including San Andreas Press) I'm not sure who even could make a claim.

EDIT: Just went down some Abandonware and Orphan works rabbit holes. Interesting. I'd be curious if anyone could get San Andreas Press to simply release the DOS version as freeware and allow it to be posted publicly.
benwiggy wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 10:15 TBH, I'm not convinced that SCORE is necessarily the high-water-mark of music engraving, without which all results will be inferior. I dare say you could produce results just as good, if not better, in Finale (albeit in a more labour-intensive process), or other software, depending on the notation
SCORE's output is pretty dang good, but emulating SCORE is actually how I got to be very proficient at Finale. In the late 90s I would take pages that we did in SCORE and try to replicate them exactly in Finale without manual tweaking. In doing so I learned to tweak just about every aspect of the program. There were lots of things I couldn't get exactly like fonts, slurs/ties, and spacing, but I got close enough that the woman I was working for would throw me any Finale work that came in because I could get really close to her SCORE house style.

Your "labour-intensive process" comment made me laugh! Here are a few pages about Part Extraction from the SCORE 3.0 manual. We called the file structure for this "rippling" although I don't know if that was an official name or just my employer's slang. I never did really get good enough with this and mostly just did input. This aspect of SCORE at least was way more labour-intensive and less user friendly than any other program I've used.