Henle then and now

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
Schonbergian

Re: Henle then and now

Post by Schonbergian »

While I agree that the modem Henle output is decidedly inferior to their previous work, it is also miles ahead of almost every other publisher with the possible exception of Wiener Urtext. Choosing between this or something from even a major esteemed publisher like Bärenreiter's new Beethoven edition, I would take the Henle every time.
JoshNichols

Re: Henle then and now

Post by JoshNichols »

Something that I've noticed (as someone who's very sensitive to engraving styles and house styles) is that I get very tired of reading the modern Henle editions compare to the old. Spacing is strict and mathematical, and for some paradoxical reason it makes it harder to read. There's flow and charm (those that last bit doesn't make much sense without the right context) in the first example while the second, to echo benwiggy's comments, is decidedly "clinical," or (dare I say) "uncommitted."

The little bobs and bloopy errors in the first version are like the variations you might find in a beautifully handwritten letter: Perfectly legible, charming, and natural.

I do like benwiggy's version a lot as well.
WINDOWS 11 · DORICO PRO 4 · LILYPOND 2.20.X · CUBASE 11 · AFFINITY STUDIO (DESIGNER, PHOTO, PUBLISHER) · DAVINCI RESOLVE

“Complexity is layered simplicity.” – James Wiznerowicz