cross staff or not?

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
Hector Pascal

cross staff or not?

Post by Hector Pascal »

Hi again,
I have composed this bar of music and notated it four different ways. I would appreciate your thoughts about which version of the notation would be best for the pianist to read. I am currently liking version A and D...
sample.jpeg
sample.jpeg (86.39 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
Hope you are all well :)
Cheerio,
Hector Pascal.
Schonbergian

Re: cross staff or not?

Post by Schonbergian »

B without question, though most of your rests are redundant when compressed onto just one stave.
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

IMHO D is horrible, as a pianist I wouldn’t think of two separate rhythms in two separate hands here. I’m not sure whether to prefer A or C, maybe kneed beams are more legible?
How about one of these? I included the variant “B without redundant rests” mentioned by Schonbergian.
Attachments
crossstaffzeugs.cropped.png
crossstaffzeugs.cropped.png (95.65 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

WhIle I would usually prefer that such a passage stay on one staff as at B, in this case I think there is a great danger that the rhythm will be difficult to read unless the chords are beamed continuously. This requires that they be on different staves. So I would vote for A/C above with the the beams completely continuous:
example.jpeg
example.jpeg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal »

Many thanks, all, for your considered opinions and finely wrought examples. Much appreciated :)
I will take time to examine all these possibilities.
Cheerio,
Hector.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Hector Pascal wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 04:05 Hi again,
I have composed this bar of music and notated it four different ways. I would appreciate your thoughts about which version of the notation would be best for the pianist to read. I am currently liking version A and D...

sample.jpeg

Hope you are all well :)
Cheerio,
Hector Pascal.
BTW, for the B version Finale doesn't make the correct beaming. You can follow this instruction video to make them correctly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33b4fznuIVM
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal »

Thanks, OCTO! The video is very helpful!
Hector.