Question about Dorico "default slurs for grace notes"

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
OCTO

Question about Dorico "default slurs for grace notes"

Post by OCTO »

My student has given me permission to post this examples from his score on the forum. This piece was created using Dorico, however, it appears that the default parameters have not been modified, resulting in several erroneous elements in the output.
1) The slur associated with the "resized" note-head is also subject to resizing. I have often pondered the reason behind music software incorporating a "resize" function for grace notes. Given that grace notes are a distinct musical element, they cannot be classified under the category of resizing. Rather, they have their own unique size relative to the staff. Furthermore, the software should refrain from resizing both the stem width and slur when dealing with grace notes.
2) The positioning of the slur beneath the baseline of the main note in the given example is incorrect. In order to give a more clear output, the slur associated with a grace note should have a "floating" attribute, rather than a fixed one.

Anyone else having Dorico, can you confirm this?
Skärmavbild 2023-05-10 kl. 10.14.57.png
Skärmavbild 2023-05-10 kl. 10.14.57.png (7.52 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
Skärmavbild 2023-05-10 kl. 10.14.42.png
Skärmavbild 2023-05-10 kl. 10.14.42.png (7.25 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
benwiggy

Re: Question about Dorico "default slurs for grace notes"

Post by benwiggy »

Grace note slurs are certainly a weak spot, and I find they do frequently need manually adjusting. I have made some improvements to the default settings, which work for some, but not all.

You can select the Slur and click on "Scale: Normal" in the Properties panel, which will give you a normal-sized slur.
MichelRE

Re: Question about Dorico "default slurs for grace notes"

Post by MichelRE »

there doesn't seem to be a single software package that handles grace note slurs universally correctly.
one might get a particular type of grace note slur correct while the others don't, but then it will err for another type of grace note.