Combining a rest

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
Hector Pascal

Combining a rest

Post by Hector Pascal »

Hi all,
Is it correct to show two rests (example B) or is it ok to combine into one rest (Example A)? My Finale default is wanting to combine the rest, so I assume that may be right, but I thought I'd better check here. Gould talks about all this on p163, and I think she'd show 2 rests, if I understand her correctly.

Best wishes,
HP.
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 12.20.47 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 12.20.47 pm.png (381.97 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
David Ward

Re: Combining a rest

Post by David Ward »

Although I often favour double dots (see a recent thread on the Finale forum) I think this might be easier to read (with the two :1r rests).
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 12.17.51.png
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 12.17.51.png (248.95 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I agree with David. And I think I would beam the 32nd note with the pair of 64th notes to make the final beat more of a unit.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

I agree with both David and John. Definitely not a combined rest here because it's followed by other notes on the same beat. And, broken secondary beams (like on the last eighth) can make the notation look much more complicated than it is. In my opinion it's also rather ugly, but that's me, not Finale, Sibelius etc..
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal »

Thanks, all! Your expertise is much appreciated. I have made all the corrections except for one... unfortunately Finale isn't allowing me to extend the 32nd note's secondary beams to the penultimate note. The Finale forum might know how I can achieve it, I'll head over there in due course :)
Thank you again!
Cheers,
Hector.
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

Actually you may get unbroken secondary beams with Document Options > Beams > Extend secondary beams over rests. Unfortunately there's a severe limitation in Finale: While this option works well for A below, it doesn't for B. So, if you have a rhythm similar to B in your composition, I'm afraid this wouldn't work.
Unbroken secondary beams.JPG
Unbroken secondary beams.JPG (11.3 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
(I never found a way to make the sixteenth beam in B behave properly with this option selected, and also noone else could when this was discussed on MM's Feature Request forum some years back.)
Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal »

Ah! Thank you for that info, Anders :)
Cheers,
HP.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

In Finale, use the Beam Extension Tool. You will need to do each one by hand after you have the music spacing complete.

This problem, (fondly known as the Dvorak Humoresque-Grieg Concerto problem), was finally solved by Dorico a few years ago.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

I'm sorry, John, but have you tried that on secondary beams (in Finale, as the OP uses that program)? As far as I know that works with primary beams only.
So, both ways it's impossible (still in Finale): Without 'extend secondary beams ove rests' you can't extend the 32nd beams (in my A above) with Special Tools, and with that option you can't shorten the 16th beam (in B). Or, have you found something else that I have overlooked?
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I am not exactly sure what you mean, Anders. Sorry for being dense. But I was able to do this in Finale (I don't use Dorico) using the Beam Extension Tool. I had to break the 1/8th note beam between beats 5 and 6 first to create the beam stub, and then extended the beam stub to connect the 5th and 6th beats as well as the beam stub itself to connect the 32nd notes. That might not have been necessary if I had set the meter to 6 8th notes rather than two dotted quarter notes. Not sure. I will try it tomorrow.
Beams 2.png
Beams 2.png (28.33 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
'