What does this symbol mean?

For those who need help with notation issues. (Please use the other available forums for help with software issues.)
RickP

What does this symbol mean?

Post by RickP »

In a professionally done big band chart. Piano and a Guitar chart, with the Guitar highlighted.

In parenthesis it says GUIT and then the mystery symbol. I don't know how to type it. It's a very small circle which is underlined. This occurs a few times at the start of a section with a rehearsal mark. That is, a small circle with a short horizontal line below it.

I'd have guessed that it means "don't play guitar", but in one ccase there is a single note line right below the mystery symbol with the notation "Guit w. Alto & TPT".

I can't find it in my Berklee notation book.

Thanks in advance.

Rick
benwiggy

Re: What does this symbol mean?

Post by benwiggy »

Can you upload a photo (suitably cropped)?
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

see? now I'm frustrated because I really wanted to know what this symbol was!
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

Is this for electric or amplified guitar? If so, might it possibly relate to use of the amplifier?
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
RickP

Post by RickP »

I'll figure out how to post a photo.

Probably electric because almost nobody plays unamplified since Freddie Green passed.
RickP

Post by RickP »

chart with odd symbol.jpg
chart with odd symbol.jpg (142.83 KiB) Viewed 8081 times
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

in a classical score that would be an abbreviation for something ending in "o".
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

That has to be an arrangement of an arrangement, right? LOL! If that's not the Gil Evans "My Ship" arrangement, then whoever wrote it is stealing from Gil, but of course there's no Guitar or Piano on the original. Since there are additional instruments added, is there any kind of instruction in the score? I'm not a Guitar player, but perhaps it means "thumb pinch harmonics with the trumpets," as that's a pretty delicate section.

For anyone who doesn't know this arrangement, it's really amazing. Gil treats each "A" section differently. The triads over a C pedal for the intro, then the deceptive cadence of the Fsus pickup to E7(b9) at the top is one of my favorite moments on this album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZwZgki3ads
RickP

Post by RickP »

My Ship is right.

The symbol remains obscure.
Fred G. Unn

Post by Fred G. Unn »

Who is the publisher or copyist? Who is the arranger? If it's someone well-known, this probably comes up in their other work, possibly with an explanation. Obviously "w. Tpts" means with Trumpets. The symbol clearly indicates some technique with the thumb, probably either simply a thumb pick as it sorta looks like that, or some sort of harmonics as it looks like that too. What does it look like in other instances? As it seems non-standard the more information you provide, the better chance at a definitive answer.