Gould's Repeat Mark-Clef Rule

Discuss the rules of notation, standard notation practices, efficient notation practices and graphic design.
David Ward

Re: Gould's Repeat Mark-Clef Rule

Post by David Ward »

Very interesting.

I don't often write repeats; but I've checked a manuscript of mine from the 1980s which has repeats coinciding with clef changes, and I did not use the Gould/Dorico notation for that. I agree, the Gould/Dorico way at first sight gives the sense of an extra bar between the repeat signs.
Finale 25.5 & F 26.3.1
Mac OS 10.13.6 & 10.14.6
https://composers-uk.com/davidward/news-links/
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

No, I've never seen this applied to any among the good editions I have browsed—but my knowledge is far from comprehensive, of course.
The point you made is fascinating, since I had never looked at the repeat mark as "a mark" instead of "a barline". This is possibly due to me starting to use a notational software BEFORE studying the rules in depth. Had I done it the other way around, my instincts may have been different.
Your definition, though, makes sense to me because when a start repeat mark coincides with a double-barline, I like to show them both.
Regardless, the Gould-Dorico system has always looked wrong to me (and to countless of other users), but since there is a workaround...
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks for confirming that, David and Neera.

Yes, since a repeat mark can be placed in the middle of a measure, it is clearly not a bar line per se.

Neera, your point is also very interesting. When a repeat mark coincides with a double bar line, the double bar line may have an extra meaning that could be lost if replaced by the repeat mark. For that reason, it's best to place a double bar line at the end of a system if the next measure begins with a repeat mark. So your practice is very logical. Yet, I seems to me that engravers also replace double bar lines that occur in the middle of a staff with coinciding repeat marks. I don't recall seeing a double bar line and a repeat mark rubbing shoulders in the middle of a line of music, but I am much less certain of that than the main topic. Have you seen your practice elsewhere?
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

Now that I think of it, I have never encountered an "endstart repeat" (to use Dorico's language) with a double barline in between the two repeat marks.
I would find that redundant. The use I have for double barline +repeat mark is when the section after the end-repeat is a new, non-repeated section, or the section before the start-repeat is a non-repeated section. It often happens in rondo-like music to have some sections with repeats and some without, and I find this practice clarifies structures (even if the source may have not shown it).
I don't recall seeing this practice often enough elsewhere, but I have to confess that my choice came as an aesthetic one first, musical one second.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Neera, could you show some examples? I'm not sure what you mean.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

NeeraWM

Post by NeeraWM »

John Ruggero wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 17:00 Neera, could you show some examples? I'm not sure what you mean.
I could not reproduce this in Dorico, which prevents me from having a double barline followed by a start-repeat, it only allows the opposite.
I have cooked this up in Sibelius.
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 11.36.34.png
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 11.36.34.png (936.88 KiB) Viewed 233 times
Please notice that this is something that I like to do, not something I have ever seen in major publications, so... take this for what it is!
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

Thanks, Neera. Unusual ;) As you said, it supports the idea that the repeat mark is not a bar line, but it's not standard and might need an explanation in a footnote.