Attribution and Use of Sources

Printing, binding, promotion and the business side of engraving.
Harpsichordmaker

Re: Attribution and Use of Sources

Post by Harpsichordmaker »

benwiggy wrote: 04 May 2024, 15:33 From what I understand, they still have all their data, but they don't want to simply "restore the backup and carry on" -- because those systems would have the same vulnerabilities. It's going to take time to migrate their data to new systems.
I wholeheartedly hope so. However, their report says they have located “viable sources of unaffected backups… from which data could be recovered.” (page 9)
And:
“Digital collections, […] through backups and/or third party copies… though full validation will only be possible once each dataset is checked.” (page 10)

From: https://www.bl.uk/home/british-library- ... h-2024.pdf

Of course they are sensibly using a lot of caution in their public communications, this may be the reason why their wording doesn’t seem fully reassuring. However even a partial restore of digital collections will be welcome. Finger crossed.
benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

They still have the paper originals, at least!
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

benwiggy wrote: 02 May 2024, 12:54 It's probably worth mentioning that a lot of libraries will have received some sort of government funding for digital scanning programmes, which will make public access a condition. (EU cultural funding, particularly.)

We do live in an extraordinary age, where I can sit in my chair and browse through manuscripts from Vienna, Naples, Paris, London, etc. (In fact, as I type this, I have a set of 17th-century part books from Cambridge University displaying in another window....)
Yes, special times indeed. While you are browsing a score in Vienna you can post to the notat.io forum for us to read worldwide! ;)
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)