Page 1 of 1
Text height with respect to staff space standards
Posted: 09 Feb 2026, 19:47
by Wescott
I'm trying to arrive at a good point of departure for how tall capitalized letters should be with respect to staff space size. I've been measuring but finding no consistency. Any opinions?
Re: Text height with respect to staff space standards
Posted: 09 Feb 2026, 21:01
by tisimst
I’ve found that it’s more about x-height (or lower case letter height) than capital letter height. The value that always looks the most cohesive to me is an x-height around 1-staff space. There’s definitely some wiggle room there, a bit more (larger font size) still works well, a bit less (smaller font size) is also ok if space is tight.
Re: Text height with respect to staff space standards
Posted: 10 Feb 2026, 10:05
by Magnus Johansson
Wescott wrote: 09 Feb 2026, 19:47
I'm trying to arrive at a good point of departure for how tall capitalized letters should be with respect to staff space size. I've been measuring but finding no consistency. Any opinions?
Would you give a few examples of the good, bad and ugly?
Re: Text height with respect to staff space standards
Posted: 10 Feb 2026, 16:48
by Vogel
The last time I investigated this, the standard I came up with was approximately 2 spaces for capital letters. In the image below, you can see that the letters fit inside the 2 spaces without overlapping the staff lines.

- parsifal_text.png (81.13 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Re: Text height with respect to staff space standards
Posted: 10 Feb 2026, 23:38
by Wescott
Magnus Johansson wrote: 10 Feb 2026, 10:05
Wescott wrote: 09 Feb 2026, 19:47
I'm trying to arrive at a good point of departure for how tall capitalized letters should be with respect to staff space size. I've been measuring but finding no consistency. Any opinions?
Would you give a few examples of the good, bad and ugly?
I would have to scan them.