Engraving Stenhammars Interlude from Cantata The Song (Sången)

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
swetom2011

Re: Engraving Stenhammars Interlude from Cantata The Song (Sången)

Post by swetom2011 »

Thanks a lot for your comments. Just now I'm a little busy with rehearsals for the next concert on the coming Saturday but I will try to implement suggestions as far as possible during the Christmas/New Year break.
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

I did notice a tiny error: bassoon 3 uses the numeral "3", while bassoons 1 and 2 use Roman numerals (I, II)

I'm curious why the score isn't condensed?
swetom2011

Post by swetom2011 »

@NeeraWM
"Molto adagio, solenne", I will correct as suggested.

Regarding instrument abbreviations, I tried to use what Stenhammar wrote in his manuscript but I will have a look again and modify where needed. The Violoncello gli altri I’ve changed

@MichelRE
Thanks for your comments and remarks.
Ten bassoon 3 error I will correct

I’m not sure what you mean by “condensed” or rather what can be condensed on top of what already done.

To date, I’m using (Lilypond terminology)
1. \compressEmptyMeasures; This will contract all empty measures into a single one but has really no effect in a score if not all instruments have rests at the same time
2. \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves; This removes all empty staves in a score except for those in the first system. In case I use \RemoveAllEmptyStaves instead, it would remove it in the first system as well.

In the handwritten score, Stenhammar sometimes combine various instruments as they play or not. As an example, in my score, I combine Horn 1 and 2 and Horn 3 and 4 on two staves. In case only Horn 1 and 3 plays, two staves will still be visible in the score. Stenhammar in his score instead then combine Horn 1 and 3 into one stave. It can probably be made in in Lilypond as well but would render a very complex score design.

Another possibility could be to insert manual “line breaks” such that I collect measures in such a way the result is an empty stave. This will then be removed as per \RemoveEmptyStaves. However, so far I’ve not inserted any manual tweaks but let Lilypond generate the score.

I’m open to suggestions for improvements but I've to work my way through the "secrets" of Lilypond internals.
swetom2011

Post by swetom2011 »

In the meantime I've incorporated most of the comments received, it required some LP tweaking. So thanks for your comments and suggestions.

For the sake of interest, tried to engrave a part of the same piece in MuseScore 4 today without too much success. The interface and functionalities are completely new and unknown to me and caused me even more grey hair than I already have. It also require a lot of mouse operations, but maybe keyboard shortcuts can be used as well. Need to be looked at. In the end I stored the working trial on my computer and just now I wanted to continue to "play around" with the score a little more. However, when I open the score, it "kills" MuseScore without any error messages whatsoever. I try a little more the next days and if you are interested, I report back.