The other November 2 issue

Recommendations concerning notation and publishing software in a non-partisan environment.
Harpsichordmaker

The other November 2 issue

Post by Harpsichordmaker »

Here is my second issue with November 2.
Sibelius Ultimate on Mac.

If I go on Text/Format/click the lower right square, I get this:
Screenshot 2022-12-10 alle 19.33.13.png
Screenshot 2022-12-10 alle 19.33.13.png (105.15 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
It's in Italian, but I guess you can understand.

Now, If I select November 2 as my main music font and click Ok, and I re-click on Text/Format/lower right square, here is what I get:
Screenshot 2022-12-10 alle 19.33.29.png
Screenshot 2022-12-10 alle 19.33.29.png (115.39 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
It changes to Opus. However, no change is done to the actual score, it still uses November 2.

What's going on?

Of course I extensively use House styles as I have 12 pieces to be put together in InDesign. Still, the main music font isn't retained when I apply the relevant house style.
In other cases, If I select November 2 as my main music fonts and save a new house style, it suddenly changes all the fontes in the score, to meaningless symbols.

Everything ok if I select November (as opposed to November 2, it's the previous version) as my main music font, so it must be something depending on November 2.
Harpsichordmaker

Re: The other November 2 issue

Post by Harpsichordmaker »

I should have checked before posting, sorry. Forget my post.
In the documentation I overlooked this passage:
Sibelius 6, 7, 7.5 and up, Mac only
The compatibility is not as optimal as with Dorico or Finale 2014, but there are workable solutions. In a way, the situation is similar to pre-2012 Finale versions: November & No- vemberExtra must be used as Sibelius (as of 7.5.1) cannot access music symbols beyond the “symbol” [32...255] range. So with adding legacy November and NovemberExtra fonts, you have about 450 symbols to start with, plus some others that are obtained by combination1 using Sibelius music symbol construction system.

In order to access potentially all other November2 symbols - the Unicode ones - you can also enter them directly as text. This is a bit akward but usable nonetheless.
And to make things easier, we designed a special November plugin for Sibelius that cleans up score items such as dynamics after conversion.
We do hope that Sibelius will handle Unicode/SMuFL fonts correctly in a near future, al- lowing a smoother use of November21 and a full access to it.