too much info?

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
MichelRE

too much info?

Post by MichelRE »

is this too much information in this brief passage?
there's a melodic line right in the middle of a piano reduction that needs to be called out, but the voice leading is not obvious, and the line has to be shared between hands.
I used two little brackets to indicate hand directions, and then cross-staffed the final two notes, but included a dashed line to show that this was a continuation of the same short phrase.

but is it informational overkill? It's difficult for me to separate myself from the music enough to see it objectively.
I've been practicing the passage at the piano (it's an accompaniment) and trying to get comfortable with it. so it's hard for me to think in terms other than my playing it myself.
Attachments
hand_bracket.jpg
hand_bracket.jpg (128.04 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
Anders Hedelin

Re: too much info?

Post by Anders Hedelin »

Could this be an option - perhaps a little easier to read? Although I don't find your way at all impossible. (I take it the tempo is rather slow?)
X.JPG
X.JPG (33.73 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

Yes, Anders, it's an Adagio.
I like your solution as well. it seems clearer, simpler.

the only thing I see, however, is the final Db and Eb in that middle voice, which you have in the upper staff, I'd rather have them played by left hand.
if I move them to the lower staff it makes for a strange slur!

I'm wondering if, in my version, I should flip the stems on the left hand 16th notes on beat 4? (to match the half note's direction, on beats 5 and 6)
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

Or like this?
X 2.JPG
X 2.JPG (34.24 KiB) Viewed 4230 times
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

it's funny how playing with something like this over and over, one can end up at the simplest - and actually most obvious! - result.
thank-you Anders.

And Happy Holidays.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

The options shown are fine, but if you wanted to keep the original version, you could leave out the dotted half rest in the left hand, and that would signal that the left hand is playing the downward stemmed notes in upper staff. Then you could omit the brackets and the dotted line, all of which have become unnecessary. Perhaps that is what you meant by "too much info". It would be the "classical" style of doing it in the days when brackets were not used.

As you pointed out, slurring a middle melody that runs from the lower staff to the upper and then back (or vice versa) is problematic.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

thank-you John, yes, I see what you mean.
And of course, sometimes a composer is just too close to the material to see obvious solutions because they are still thinking in terms of the orchestral parts from which the music is drawn.
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

MichelRE wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 15:20 is this too much information in this brief passage?
MichelRE, is it Dorico? I know you have been using Finale. Just curious.
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.3 • Sibelius 2023.5• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 10+ /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
MichelRE

Post by MichelRE »

OCTO wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 18:31
MichelRE wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 15:20 is this too much information in this brief passage?
MichelRE, is it Dorico? I know you have been using Finale. Just curious.
Yes it's Dorico.
I've basically witched to Dorico for all my engraving now.
There are only a few tasks with which I'm more comfortable working in Finale, and even that's slowly changing.