Interesting notation in Henle

Have your scores reviewed by other users. Comment on old and new published scores and on publishers.
OCTO

Interesting notation in Henle

Post by OCTO »

This question comes from a different forum and is quite challenging. The issue is the meaning of the lines in Henle's edition of Bach Henle BWV817. What do you think?
jj3vC.jpeg
jj3vC.jpeg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 9527 times
Freelance Composer. Self-Publisher.
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
Callasmaniac

Re: Interesting notation in Henle

Post by Callasmaniac »

It is a kind of appogiatura. Usually found in arpeggios, says Clive Brown is "Classical ... performance practice".
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Ok. I have never heard about it! How do you perform the second measure, second beat, RH?
Finale 27.5 • Sibelius 2024.3• MuseScore 4+ • Logic Pro X+ • Ableton Live 11+ • Digital Performer 11 /// MacOS Monterey (secondary in use systems: Fedora 35, Windows 10)
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

I think that I would play this one as a very fast roll starting on the second beat:
Acciaccatura.png
Acciaccatura.png (73.2 KiB) Viewed 9495 times
These acciaccaturas are found in one of the several different original sources of Bach's French Suites. The six so-called French Suites are possibly the single most difficult item in the entire classical canon for an editor because of the complexity of the source material.
Last edited by John Ruggero on 05 May 2023, 02:11, edited 2 times in total.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
OCTO

Post by OCTO »

Hm, but why is that not notated as the LH in the first measure? Is there any manual of that symbols already?
MalteM

Post by MalteM »

The left hand in the first measure has a normal arpeggio: every played note (e, g♯, b) is held. The right hand has an arpeggio e–f♯–g♯ but only the e and g♯ are held.
John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero »

And thus with the roll in the RH of m. 2 only the chord tones are held, as shown in the example above. The acciaccaturas are released as soon as they are played.

Many of these ornaments are not widely known because they are exclusive to Baroque keyboard music.
M1 Mac mini (OS 12.4), Dorico, Finale 25.5, GPO 4, Affinity Publisher 2, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard maestro

http://www.cantilenapress.com
JJP

Post by JJP »

Thank you, everyone!

I am not well-versed in Baroque performance practices, and I learned something new today.
There is no computer problem so complex that it cannot be solved by a sledge hammer.

Symbols of Sound - music preparation and consulting
Harpsichordmaker

Post by Harpsichordmaker »

John Ruggero wrote: 03 May 2023, 19:22 I think that I would play this one as a very fast roll starting on the second beat:

Acciaccatura.png
Precisely. I can add its name is “tierce coulée en ascendant”. A French name because it is mainly used by Couperin and other French composers. In English it’s something like “upgoing third with a passing note” (the normal tierce coulée is descending and more often than not is not explictly noted).

Gasparini calls them “acciaccatura”, indeed, altough his acciaccaturas are often chromatic and are not necessarily found in thirds.
Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin »

According to my Italian dictionary 'acciaccatura' may mean 'bruise', so maybe you should use them with some caution.
Finale 26, 27 on Windows 10