Page 1 of 3
Musescore
Posted: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14
by Mr_Incognito
Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.
I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?
Thanks!
Re: Musescore
Posted: 11 Apr 2026, 17:25
by benwiggy
Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale.
I'd suggest that would be a pretty long road! Sure, all software is mortal, but Dorico is barely out of its infancy.
By the time Dorico and MuseScore are elderly and in danger of being left behind by progress, we're likely to have much better transition tools than MusicXML.
The best way to get answers to your questions is to give MS a try. It's free, after all. Have a look at the teaching resources and tutorials that have been created for it. Or the MuseScore forum, where you'll get answers from experienced users.
Re: Musescore
Posted: 11 Apr 2026, 18:32
by OCTO
Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14
Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.
I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?
Thanks!
Give us an example of your score, or whatever similar score for comparison.
Everything depends, so there is no a direct answer. I have produced quite remarkable score (yet for one instrument) in MuseScore 2.
Re: Musescore
Posted: 11 Apr 2026, 18:35
by Magnus Johansson
Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14
Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.
I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?
Thanks!
Hello, and welcome! In the following video Martin Keary explains hiding empty staves in MuseScore Studio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZzXV1dZWI
Re: Musescore
Posted: 11 Apr 2026, 18:52
by Mr_Incognito
Magnus Johansson wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 18:35
Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 15:14
Hello, a year-long Finale user here. I use it on Linux, in Wine, and it still works fine.
I didn't go for Dorico out of fear down the road I might be in a similar situation like with Finale. Also I prefer not to have to boot Windows.
I was wondering about Musescore as an alternative to learn and use. Obviously, it can produce a great output. However, how does it fare when it comes to complex scores, when layouts may get tricky? Situations with hiding staves, repositioning etc. How reliable is the part creation?
Thanks!
Hello, and welcome! In the following video Martin Keary explains hiding empty staves in MuseScore Studio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZzXV1dZWI
Thanks for the input everybody!
What I notice in scores displayed online on Musescore is apparent lack of flexibility when it comes to space between staves.
Re: Musescore
Posted: 11 Apr 2026, 19:04
by Magnus Johansson
Mr_Incognito wrote: 11 Apr 2026, 18:52
What I notice in scores displayed online on Musescore is apparent lack of flexibility when it comes to space between staves.
Here is what the MuseScore Studio Handbook says about "Pages and vertical spacing":
https://handbook.musescore.org/formatti ... al-spacing
Re: Musescore
Posted: 12 Apr 2026, 00:48
by odod
I think Musescore is the easiest in terms of handling everything with just right click and opening the layout properties. And vertical spacing can be done with track spacer.
Re: Musescore
Posted: 12 Apr 2026, 03:30
by Mr_Incognito
Thanks everybody for the input! Seems like this forum is very lively and offers good ideas.
One thing I noticed - nobody said Musescore is my main daily driver.

Re: Musescore
Posted: 12 Apr 2026, 04:21
by odod
Welcome aboard, here we have many real experts for music engraving and also profound composers. I am just random guy who loves to learn anything.
For my Numbered Notation and Choir job I uses Musescore definitely because it can use CANTAI and works with my own plugin,
While for others I uses only Sibelius because easy to change everything even though the workflow is a bit tedious, Dorico is good but it's like programming where you have to set everything and unable to drag anything to make spacing etc.
Sorry if it's OOT
Re: Musescore
Posted: 12 Apr 2026, 08:58
by Magnus Johansson
Mr_Incognito wrote: 12 Apr 2026, 03:30
Thanks everybody for the input! Seems like this forum is very lively and offers good ideas.
You're welcome! Have you considered submitting test results and a rating for Finale at
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=454?